The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
We have completed our installments of our 2014 IPCPR Preview Series.
Part 1: “The Five Boutiques to Watch.”
Part 2: The Potential Cigar Trends
Part 3: Manufacturer Spotlight
Part 4: Around the Show Floor (First Pass)
Part 5: Around the Show Floor (Second Pass)
Part 6: Predictions for the Five Hottest Cigars
Part 7: Around the Show Floor (Third Pass)
Feature of the Week: IPCPR Trade Show
The 82nd Annual Trade Show and Convention took place this week in Las Vegas. We will have continuing features and stories over the next couple of weeks. We took a look at the kickoff to the trade show.
IPCPR News and Previews.
This following are stories from the IPCPR Trade Show:
- Debonaire Cigars: Phil Zanghi officially unveiled the Debonaire Maduro. We took a closer look at this.
- Alec Bradley: We previewed the new Alec Bradley Coyol that was launched at the trade show. The company also showcased the Alec Bradley Fine and Rare TA-25A – the 2014 edition of the Fine and Rare. Finally, the company showcased an upcoming 2015 release called Alec Bradley Sanctum.
- Avo Cigars: Brand ambassador Avo Uvezian was not in attendance at the trade show due to health issues. A 6 x 60 is being added to the Avo Classic line.
- Brun del Re: We previewed the new Brun del Re Premium Limited Edition.
- CAO Cigars: The brand announced the CAO Colombia as the newest edition of the World Blend Series. The company also announced the limited edition CAO Amazon Basin.
- Davidoff Cigars: We provided coverage of the Davidoff Golden Band Awards – we took at look the winners and looked at the state of the company.
- Drew Estate: We took a closer look at the Herrera Esteli Norteno.
- E.P. Carrillo: We previewed two extensions to the E-Stunner line.
- Epicurean Cigars: We previewed the new Gonzo Santeria Chicken Bones.
- Ezra Zion Cigar Company: We took a look at the Ezra Zion Tantrum P.A.
- General Cigar Company: We took a look at the offerings from the various brands of the company launched at the trade show.
- Illusione Cigars: We took a look at the company’s first new line in three years, the Illusione Fume D’Amour.
- La Sirena Cigars: We previewed the Oceano by La Sirena.
- Legacy Brands: We reported several firsts at the trade show. We had details on the new Ora Vivo Armand Assante World. We took a detailed look at the upcoming Tortuga 215 Reserva Connecticut. Finally, we had details on the Tortuga 215 Reserva Maduro “El Coyote Negro”.
- Padron Cigars: We took a look at what we felt was the most anticipated cigar to be unveiled at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show, Padron 50 Years – The Hammer.
- Quesada Cigars: We previewed the Quesada Petites.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: We previewed the Rocky Patel Super Ligero.
- Tatuaje: We previewed the Tatuaje Halloween Series – a lint planned for late 2015 that was showcased at the trade show.
- Viaje: We looked at the “surprise” packaged in the newly released Viaje Cache.
- Viva Republica: We previewed the new Viva Republica Propaganda. We also too a look at what is ahead for the company.
- Villiger Cigars: It was announced that Shawna Williams has been promoted to Vice President of Sales,
- FDA: No new co-sponsors this week to HR792. The total remains at 159 co-sponsors (160 total sponsors)
- The period for Public Comment to the FDA’s Deeming Document has been extended 30 days until August 8th. If you are looking for guidance on how to comment, follow the links below:
We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
- FDA Extends Public Comment Period 30 Days
- Small Business Administration Says Economic Impact to Proposed FDA Regulations Underestimated
- OMB Strikes Language From FDA’s Proposed Regulations for Premium Cigars
- Due to extensive IPCPR Coverage, we did not assess any cigars this week. Refer to my Stogie Feed for some short comments of IPCPR cigars I smoked.
Debonaire Maduro Toro
Arturo Fuente Queen B
Balmoral Royal Selection Anejo 18 Rothchild Masivo
Davidoff 25th Anniversary
Eiroa CBT Maduro
La Colmena Unico Especial by Warped Cigars
Las Cumbres Senorial by Jose Blanco – Robusto
Litto Gomez LG Vintage 2013
My Father Limited Edition 2011
Tatuaje J21 Reserva (Vintage)
Tatuaje Pudgy Monster: Drac
Viaje Cache (Rounded)
Viaje Zombie Antidote
Viva Republica Propaganda Disinformation (Pre-Release)
Zino – The Make of New York
- July 26th 2011: We previewed the La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiale.
- July 26th 2011: We previewed the Esteban Carreras 211.
- July 26th 2012: We posted a press release announcing Doc Diaz’s 4th annual Crush & Roll event.
- July 26th 2012: We posted a press release announcing Torano Family Cigars 3 New Releases for the 2012 IPCPR in Orlando
- July 26th 2012: We posted a press release announcing La Flor Dominicana’s releases for the 2012 IPCPR in Orlando
- July 26th 2012: We previewed the Perdomo Grand Cru 2006
- July 26th 2012: We previewed the CAO Concert
- July 26th 2013: We previewed Robert Wright’s Pura Soul Cigars.
- July 26th 2013: We previewed the Foundry War of Currents Small Batch (The Inventions) line.
- July 26th 2013: We previewed the Ezra Zion Eminence.