The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: My Father Lounge Exclusives Revamped
For the past several years, My Father Cigar lounges have exclusively carried the My Father Lounge Cigar, a toro-sized Nicaraguan puro. A representative for My Father Cigars has informed Cigar Coop that the program is changing and My Father Lounges now each have the opportunity to select an exclusive size of the My Father Lounge blend that will only be sold that particular lounge. This week we learned that The Pipe in Pint in Greensboro, North Carolina has received the My Father Lounge Exclusive Box Pressed Torpedo and Cutters Cigar Emporium in Alpharetta, Georgia will receive the My Father Lounge Exclusive 6 x 60.
Southern Cigar Festival
Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks are proud to partner with the Southern Cigar Festival. The event is being held on June 6 at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park in Alpharetta, Georgia. This past week, we took a look at some more of the manufacturers making up this great event.
We also had an exclusive interview with organizer Russ Sutton from Cutters Cigar Emporium who talks about how this event came to be – and what to expect.
Tickets are available through Ticketmaster via the event website, Cutters Cigar Emporium, and the Amphitheatre box office. Those purchasing tickets in person at Cutters Cigars will get a free cigar with their ticket purchase.
News and Previews
- MBombay: In a big week of news the company announced line extensions to Mora and Kesara; new can packaging and plans for its Vintage Reserve.
- Drew Estate: The company announced its second vitola for Nica Rustica called “Belly”.
- Espinosa Cigars: We covered details on the re-launch of the Murcielago. The company also announced a box-press corona gorda line extension for Laranja called Caixa.
- Fratello Cigars: The company announced its second line, Fratello Bianco Announced
- Gran Habano: The company has announced the new limited edition Private Humidor Selection by George Rico
- Lost & Found Cigars: The company is releasing an exclusive cigar being made available at the Cigar Circus event called Fresh Roasted.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company will launch a 20th Anniversary Cigar at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show. It will be in a Natural and a Maduro. The company also has plans for a Sun Grown Maduro.
- Siempre Tamboril: La Barba Cigars co-owner Tony Bellatto is launching a new brand called Siempre Tamboril
- Tatuaje Cigars: The company has released an exclusive cigar for Club Humidor in San Antonio known as Tatuaje “The Rumbo”.
- Viaje: Cigar Federation and Cigar Dojo are teaming up for a pair of cigars called Throw Down by Viaje. Viaje will make thee cigars available exclusively on the Cigar Federaiton store.
- Federal: Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) has signed on as a co-sponsor to Senate Bill (S. 441) – the total sponsor count is at 17. Five new sponsors were added to House Bill (HR 662) – Rep Brad Wenstrup (R-OH); Rep Scott DesJariais (R-TN); Rep Robert Dold (R-IL); Rep Randy Weber (R-TX); and Rep Tom Emmer (R-MN) bringing the total sponsor count remains to 110. Meanwhile for H.R. 2058 (to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect) there were four new co-sponsors added: Rep Mike Pompeo (R-KS); Rep Billy Long (R-MO); Rep Tom Graves (R-GA); and Rep David Valadao (R-CA) – bringing the total to 13 sponsors.
- Indiana: The State Court of Appeals has heard a case that is challenging the city of Indianapolis’ Smoking Ban. No word on when a decision will be made.
- Azan Maduro Natural Robusto Extra by Roberto P. Duran Cigars
- EPM Larceny by Eddie Ortega
- Inca Secret Blend Tambo
- Lost & Found Racks on Racks
Agile Cigar Assessments
We had two editions of Stogie Geeks Shorts – first we had a special segment on the La Aurora Cameroon Corona Especiales and then an exclusive interview with Brad Winstead, Vice President of Altadis USA and Rafael Nodal, President of Boutique Blends as they talked about their collaboration on the Romeo by Romeo y Julieta Aging Room.
Our smokes of the week included:
- May 23rd 2012: We assessed the Sosa Family Selection Maduro
- May 23rd 2013: We reported on the Rocky Patel Decade Edicion Limitada returning for 2013
- May 23rd 2013: We re-posted a press release on the announcement of the Nat Sherman 1930
- May 23rd 2013: We re-posted a press release on the announcement of S&S Cigar Company
- May 23rd 2013: We did a Feature Story on Broadleaf Tobacco from a Historical Perspective
- May 23rd 2014: We reported that the 262 Allegiance had shipped.
- May 23rd 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Tatuaje Mini Mum (Part of the Little Monsters Series)