The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 364 (1/18/20)
The Decade List
This week we published our Cigar of the Decade Top 25 list!
Prime Time Awards
As we do each year we awards for Factory, Company, and Person of the Year. This week were the Factory and Company Awards. We finished up these awards with the Person of the Year Award. For reference, here is a complete list:
- Person of the Year – Alan Rubin
- Small/Medium Factory of the Year – Fabrica Oveja Negra
- Large Factory of the Year; Tabacalera AJ Fernandez Cigars de Nicaragua S.A.
- Small/Medium Company of the Year – Southern Draw Cigars
- Large Company of the Year – Altadis U.S.A.
This week we started unveiling our 2019 Performance Awards. The Performance Rankings were introduced in 2012 as a statistical analysis based on the average numerical score of all cigars assessed on Cigar Coop. This week we sliced the data by Factory, Country of Origin, and Vitolas. We will wrap this up next week with Best Company Performance.
- Best Factory Performance for 2019
- Country of Origin Performance Ratings 2019
- Vitola Performance for 2019
Feature of the Week: Fall Out from Altadis, General, Davidoff and Drew Estate Withdraw From 2020 PCA Trade Show
Four of the biggest cigar manufacturers have announced that they will not be attending the Premium Cigar Association Trade Show. Altadis U.S.A., General Cigar Company, Davidoff of Geneva, and Drew Estate announced they will not be at the 2020 Trade Show. We’ve got the details here. We also took a look at the brands that will not be exhibited at the 2020 PCA Trade Show. We have plenty of coverage as a result of the fallout:
- Analysis of the “Big Four” Pulling Out of the PCA Trade Show
- Arturo Fuente and J.C. Newman Announce Plans to Attend PCA 2020
- The Blog: Abe Dababneh Comments on PCA Divide
- C.L.E. Cigar Company to Attend 2020 PCA Trade Show
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on “Big Four” Withdrawal from 2020 Trade Show
- De Los Reyes Cigars Confirms Attendance at PCA 2020 Trade Show
- Gurkha Cigars to Attend 2020 PCA Trade Show
- Kristoff Cigars to Attend 2020 PCA Trade Show
- Micallef Cigars Not Attending PCA 2020 Trade Show, Lays Out Vision for Year Ahead
- Oveja Negra Brands to Attend 2020 PCA
- Perdomo Cigars Confirms Attendance for PCA 2020
- Premium Cigar Association Responds to “Big Four” Withdrawal from 2020 Trade Show
- RoMa Craft Tobac to Attend 2020 PCA Trade Show
News and Previews
- Altadis U.S.A.: The company will launch Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Nicaragua at TPE 2020.
- JSK Cigars: Will introduce two new sizes for Nuggs at TPE 2020.
- Room101: Matt Booth has teamed up with musician Big Sixx for the “The Dream” and “The Nightmare” shop exclusives.
- Santa Clara Cigars: Announced the Montecristo Volume 1: 100 Days will be showcased at TPE 2020.
- Southern Draw Cigars: The company has announced it will not increase prices for 2020. The company will also launch the Cedrus Lancero at TPE 2020
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 84.
- FDA: We reported on the FDA reaffirming ongoing enforcement of age compliance for tobacco purchases.
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
- No Show This Past Week
Episode 125 (1/23): Industry Panel #8: Hector Alfonso, Skip Martin, and John McTavish
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 67 (1/27/20): The Big Game Show with Jonathan Carney
Prime Time Jukebox
On this date Jan 18
- Jan 18, 2011: We covered information on the Raleigh, NC City Council Outdoor Smoking Ban Vote (which eventually did pass)
- Jan 18, 2012: We covered the launch of the W. Curtis Draper Limited Edition 125th Anniversary Series.
- Jan 18, 2012: We assessed the La Aurora 1495 Series.
- Jan 18, 2012: We previewed the Viaje Super Shot (Viaje Shotgun Shells)
- Jan 18, 2013: We reported the announcement of the Surrogates Animal Cracker by L’Atelier Imports.
- Jan 18, 2013: We provided an Assessment Update on the Humo Jaguar by Miami Cigar and Company
- Jan 18, 2014: We published Cigar Industry Report: Volume 3, Number 8 (1/18/14)
- Jan 18, 2015: We reported on Ramón Zapata departing Compañía Hondureña de Tabacos
- Jan 18, 2015: We assessed the Señor Rio Añejo Toro
- Jan 18, 2016: We reported on the Jose O Padrón 90th Birthday Cigar
- Jan 18, 2016: We reported on the D’Crossier Humidor opening at Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle
- Jan 18, 2016: We reported on House of Emilio rebranding as Boutiques United
- Jan 18, 2016: We assessed the Warped Corto X50
- Jan 18, 2016: We reported on the MoyaRuiz Pickle Juice
- Jan 18, 2017: We published 2016 Year in Review: A Tale of Two Lanceros
- Jan 18, 2017: We named the 2016 Factory of the Year (Large / Multi-Faceted) – Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia
- Jan 18, 2017: We reported on Davidoff Golden Leaf Mini Cigarillos Limited Edition
- Jan 18, 2017: We reported on the FDA issuing Draft Guidance on free samples of tobacco products
- Jan 18, 2018: We reported on Rachel Hyde getting promoted to IPCPR Senior Director of State Affairs
- Jan 18, 2018: We named our 2017 Person of the Year – AJ Fernandez.
- Jan 18, 2019: We published Prime Time Episode 82: Cigar of the Year List Panel Discussion
- Jan 18, 2019: We reported on the Crowned Heads Paniolo Especial 2019 Announced
- Jan 18, 2019: We reported on D’Crossier moving three lines to ABAM Factory
- Jan 18, 2019: We published the The Composite Value Ratings for 2018
- Jan 18, 2019: We reported on tRoMa Craft Tobac taking Intemperance Whiskey Rebellion 1794 Line national
- Jan 18, 2019: We published Prime Time Special Edition #45: 2018 in Review and Richard Overton