Providing Press Information
We are a news-driven outlet and are happy to provide an outlet to report news on happenings with your company and company’s products. This is done at no-cost and is a way to build exposure and excitement for your brand.
Please note, we generally require press information on a pro-active basis in order to consider your product for review on Cigar Coop. If you are posting a photo on instagram or another social media outlet hoping we will call and chase you to essentially write your press release, we probably are not the best fit for you. We spend many hours devoted to publicizing and reporting products / news items and take it very seriously. While we are happy to work with you publicizing your product, we ask it be in a pro-active manner where we are reached out to.
We also are the exclusive news provider to the Smooth Draws Radio Show and KMA Talk Radio. Please note these are brands external to Cigar Coop and the final decision to include any press content lies with them.
We do have some general guidelines to consider:
- The Press Information must pro-actively be provided to us. In most cases, if a press release is given to a single media outlet, we still will require the information to be sent to us.
- Press Information does not require a formal press release. Information can be provided through email or phone conversations.
- Press Information must be provided by an authorized representative of the company.
- You must be the owner of the intellectual capital of have expressed written permission to use it. If we find, this is not the case, the content will be removed from Cigar Coop.
- We will typically not copy / paste the press release. It will be re-written so it provides a consistent format with the rest of the website and fits in with our journalistic framework.
- The press information must be provided on a timely basis. We don’t require first or exclusive rights. At the same time, the longer period between the first release and the time we receive it, the lower priority it will get in terms of publication. Significant delays from the the first release made of the information may result in Cigar Coop passing on covering this item.
- “Now Shipping to Retailers” articles will be considered on an individual basis. We pretty much don’t want to re-hash something that’s already been covered just to simply say a product has shipped.. At a minimum, if we are givien “Now Shipping” information, it will be included in the Cigar Industry Report.
- Marketing teasers, gossip, viral media, rumors, and information that cannot be validated will not be considered.
- Contests and promotions are also not considered – including charity promotions. While we will consider contests and promotions for sponsors, we encourage them to utilize the banner or sidebar ad space as it provides more permanence during the specific campaign.
- With the exception of the IPCPR Trade Show, Event / Herf Coverage (Pre-Event, Recap) is typically not covered unless as a part of a sponsorship agreement.
- We will always honor the release date of the press release unless given expressed written permission of the manufacturer to release early. Any press releases sent “FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE” will be considered as soon as the editorial staff can get to it.
- Announcements pertaining to a competitive cigar media outlet “i.e. we got this XX rating from <<insert media outlet here>>” will not be considered for publication in a news story.
- Some press releases to help promote our sponsors may be considered for publication that would be outside the criteria above.
- Personnel moves (hiring/termination) must come from the brand owner or authorized representative of the company. It’s not enough to tell us “I got a job as Marketing Manager for XYZ”. The position for the personnel move must be what Cigar Coop deems a newsworthy position from a newsworthy company.
- The final decision on whether to consider news for publication ultimately lies with the Cigar Coop editorial staff.