The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is now live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
Feature of the Week: Room 101 – The Big Payback
For the past five years, Matt Booth has continued to build and evolve his Room 101 brand when it comes to cigars. This week, the brand announced its 14th blend – Room 101 – The Big Payback (Cigar Preview). This is a significant release because it marks a value-priced line that is the brand’s first Nicaraguan puro – and contains its first 70 ring gauge offering.
FDA Regulatory Information
We are into the period of public comment for the FDA’s proposed regulations. We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
We also recommend some of the following in regards to the FDA:
- Cigar Media Association Member, Blind Man’s Puff also has some guidance on how to respond comments to the FDA Deeming Rule.
- Stogie Guys has done the best work in terms of breaking down the Deeming Rule and providing feedback. Be sure to check out their primer on What the FDA Deeming Document Means to Cigars and their commentary of the proposed $10.00 Floor. Finally they have written an article that poses some questions for the FDA.
News and Previews.
- 262 Cigars: The company has announced the 262 Allegiance has shipped. We did a pre-release assessment for this cigar back in April.
- A.J. Fernandez Cigars: The company has put out a teaser of its 2014 IPCPR project under a code name of SC 3 Oscuro. The only thing the company is saying is “SC 3 OSCURO IS A NEW BLEND THAT WILL BE UNVEILED AT THE IPCPR SHOW IN VEGAS UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME“
- CLE Cigars: Christian Eiroa posted a photo of the EIROA Maduro with the text “Coming Soon”.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company’s first retail exclusive the 601 La Bomba Bunker Buster was officially announced. This is the eighth installment of South Florida retailer Smoke Inn’s MicroBlend series.
- Illusione Cigars: Dion Giolito announced a sixth vitola to the Illusione Maduro line – the Cigar Illusione Maduro ~68~
- La Colonia Cigars: We had exclusive news on this new company and their first cigar, the La Colonia Miami Line – a collaboration with the Casa Fernandez / Tabacalera Tropical factory in Miami, Florida.
- Moya Ruiz Cigars: The company officially announced details of the La Jugada Nunchuck.
- PDR Cigars: The company announced its commemorative Flores y Rodriguez 10th Anniversary Reserva Limitada cigar.
- Selected Tobacco: The Atabey, Byron, and Bandolero lines will be available for wider distribution at the 2014 IPCPR.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors were added to HR792. The total remains at total of 155 co-sponsors (156 total sponsors).
- New Jersey: A smoking ban on beaches has unanimously passed in a State Senate subcommittee. It is now heading to the Senate for a vote. The State Assembly passed a similar bill in March.
- New York: New York City’s new minimum age of 21 to buy tobacco products officially went into effect on May 19th.
Our smokes of the week this week were:
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Classic (Cameroon)
Carpe Noctem by Emilio Cigars (Pre-Release)
Elogio Robusto Especial Limitada
E.P. Carrillo Re+United
Herrera Esteli Limited Edition Lancero
L’Atelier LAT Lancero
Opus X (Fuente Fuente & Scorpion)
Quesada 40th Anniversary Salomon Press
RoMa Craft Cromagnon Aquitaine Mode 5
Tatuaje 7th Capa Especial
Tatuaje Lancero Sampler
Tatuaje Tattoo (2014) Caballero
Viaje Zombie 2014 (Green Label)
Viaje Zombie Maduro 2014 (Red Label) (Mark Jr.)
Viaje Zombie Maduro 2014 (Red Label) (Will)
On this date May 24th…
- May 24th 2011: Sam Leccia announced his first attempt at a solo venture and first cigar – Press Sam Leccia Cigar Company’s “Debut”. This project would be shelved after a dispute over his non-compete with Oliva Cigar.
- May 24th 2011: We reported on what was the upcoming San Lotano Oval.
- May 24h 2012: We previewed the Rocky Patel Burn Naples and Rocky Patel Nicaraguan Edge.
- May 24th 2013: We reported on the My Father Flor de Las Antillas Rounded Short Churchill being released as a Part of Holt’s Pepin Mania III event.
- May 24th 2013: We reprinted a press release announcing the East India Trading Company to Release the ‘Rogue’
- May 24th 2013: We assessed the La Aurora 107 Maduro