The Cigar Week Wrap is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will throw in a few bonus items from time to time as well. Our intent is to publish once a week on Saturday mornings. Note: We have decided to label our posts as “Volume 2” to be consistent with the monthly “Editor’s Corner”.
News and Previews
- Altadis: Provided a press release on the H. Upmann Legacy. We recently assessed this cigar.
- CAO: We provide some detail around the event only CAO La Traviata Mochado cigar. CAO has also announced the limited edition CAO Brazilia Carnivale – a modified version of the CAO Brazilia blend. Finally, the brand also announced its participation in Kid Rock’s Chillin’ The Most Cruise.
- Davidoff: CEO Hans Kristian Joejsgaard posted on twitter that new Davidoff blends will launch this May and June.
- Iconic Leaf Cigars: The official press release for the forthcoming Recluse Draconian release was issued. In a joint exclusive story, we were among the first to know of an early release of three additional sizes of this cigar to five retailers prior to IPCPR.
- Lou Rodriguez Cigars: In an exclusive story to Cigar Coop, we learned the Lou Rodriguez Reserve Edicion is being re-blended and replacing the original Reserve Edicion. Company owner Lou Rodriguez indicated on his facebook page that “La Mano Negra” will be released at the 2013 IPCPR Trade show in Las Vegas. Rodriguez also hinted on his Facebook page with a quote: “I heard a rumor, ‘Lou Rod Special Release’ is on the way to the (Midwest Smoke Out festival)“
- Nat Sherman: At a Quesada cigar event at the Nat Sherman Townhouse, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani made an appearance. Congressional Medal of Honor recipient Former Staff Sergeant Clint Romesha stopped by the Nat Sherman Townhouse later that week.
- Ortega Cigars: Eddie Ortega posted a picture on Instagram of the art work for the August release of the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 called “Wild Bill”. Ortega said he has not decided on a vitola as of yet.
- Padron: Will be releasing a limited edition 60 ring gauge of its 1926 Serie called the TP40 to Tobacco Plaza in Great Neck, New York.
- Punch: Announced the annual release of the Punch Rare Corojo – including the additional of a new perfecto frontmark.
- Primer Mundo Cigars: A facebook post by company owner Sean Williams has indicated a new Clase Reserva is coming out this summer.
- Room 101 Cigars: Full details on the Room 101 Namakubi Ecuador have been released. This includes the blend information.
- Sindicato Cigar Group: Announced their launch and named Jim Colucci their President and CEO.
- Tatuaje: Posted a picture on Facebook of the Tatuaje 10th Anniversary cigar.
- Viaje: Announced shipments for the Viaje White Label Project Candela 2013 and Viaje Honey and Hand Grenades 2013. Viaje also shipped a new version of the Viaje Friends and Family – a robusto known as the Viaje Friends and Family Le Joueur (new size first reported by halfwheel.com)
- FDA: The petition to the White House received its 37,000th signature this week. The number of co-sponsors for H.R. 792 has increased to 27.
- Florida: SB 258 – a bill which would give local muncipalities the right to enact smoking bans cleared the Florida Senate Health Policy Committee by a 6 to 3 vote. While this is bad news for the cigar business, the fact that there was opposition could be a sign of more things to come.
- Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan
- East India Trading Company Red Witch
- El Centurion by Don Pepin Garcia (2007 edition)
- Lou Rodriguez MF
- We catch up with J.R. Dominguez of Iconic Leaf Cigars.
On this date March 9th…
- March 9th 2012: We reviewed the Tatuaje 7th Reserva