The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
“Epic Encounters” – 2013 Cigar of the Year Countdown
In a Cigar Coop December tradition, we continue our daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars for the Year for 2013. We outlined our vision and criteria in this month’s Editor’s Corner. Two more cigars (Nomad LE Esteli Lot 1386 and Ezra Zion Eminence) from the House of Emilio distribution arm made the countdown – giving House of Emilio a leading four spots on this year’s countdown. Here were this week’s selections #17 through #11:
#17: Davidoff 2014 Year of the Horse
#16: 601 La Bomba Maduro Warhead by Espinosa Cigars
#15: Herrera Esteli by Drew Estate
#14: Aging Room Maduro by Boutique Blends
#13: Nomad LE Esteli Lot 1386
#12: Ezra Zion Eminence
#11: EIROA by CLE Cigars
You can review our complete countdown to date here.
Feature of the Week: Aging Room Quattro F55 Captures Cigar Aficionado’s #2 Cigar of the Year
|Rafael Nodal, President of Boutique Blends
(Cigar Coop Photo)
We saw the entire cigar community come together to congratulate Nodal, Bischoff, and company this week. These guys have been some of the hardest working people in the cigar business. They have been long-time supporters of Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks from the beginning. In fact, we were honored to have them as guests on a recent Stogie Geeks episode. In addition, their blends have secured a spot on our countdown 4 of the past 5 years. We congratulate Boutique Blends on this great honor!
News and Previews
- Comador Cigar: This is a collaboration being done by the Cohiba brand of General Cigar and musician Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter.
- E.P. Carrillo: We provided a little more context on what we reported last week around the Cigar E.P. Carrillo INCH Short Run 2014.
- Gurkha Cigar Group: Juan Lopez, National Sales Manager for the company was a guest on The Cigar Lounger Radio and outlined plans for 2014.
- Illusione Cigars: Dion Giolito has indicated the Illusione Singulare 2013 Rose Croix is now shipping.
- La Aurora: The La Aurora 107 Maduro Lancero (Bowtie) will be a regional exclusive to the Southeast United States.
- Nat Sheman: The company is adding an 8 x 38 Super Lancero to Timeless Collection, 1930, and Sterling Lines
- Ortega Premium Cigars: We previewed the Crazy Jack – the 12th and final installment of the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 series. Eddie Ortega has also said the 12 cigar sampler featuring all of the Wild Bunch blends has been delayed till January.
- Quesada Cigars: It has been announced that MATASA (the company’s factory) and S.A.G. Imports (Distribution) will collectively be known as “Quesada Cigars”.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The Aquitaine Blockhead will be released to Monte’s Pueblo Pipe Shop in Albuquerque, NM
- Viaje: The Viaje Holiday Blend Christmas Tree has begun to arrive at retailers. Several retailers have also received shipments of the Viaje Friends and Family Cadeau (the original Churchill size)
- FDA: Six new co-sponsors signed on to HR792. The count is now at a total of 136 co-sponsors (137 total sponsors).
- December 21st 2010: We unveiled our #10 cigar for 2010 – the La Gloria Cubana Serie N.
- December 21st 2011: We assessed the Kristoff Kristania.
- December 21st 2011: We assessed the Viaje Fifty Fifty Red.
- December 21st 2011: We unveiled out #10 cigar for 2011 – the Room 101 Connecticut.
- December 21st 2012: We previewed the Heisenberg by Quesada
- December 21st 2012: We provided an Assessment Update on the Viaje Satori Edicion Limitada 2012 (Viaje Satori 2012)
- December 21st 2012: We unveiled our #10 cigar for 2012 – #10: Tatuaje Mummy/Mini Mum