The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
This past few a trio of executive promotions were announced at Nat Sherman as Michael Herklots was promoted to Vice President, Retail & Brand Development. Brendon B. Scott was promoted to Vice President, Chief FInancial Officer, and Matt Spillane has been hired as Vice President, National Sales for Nat Sherman cigarette products. These refections clearly reflect Nat Sherman’s growth over the past 22 months. Not only does it strengthen the company’s position in premium cigars, but it shows they are serious about growing their other divisions.
News and Previews
- Alec Bradley: On the 1/25/14 edition of Kiss My Ash Radio, Alan Rubin mentioned there is a new Family Blend project in the works. He was not committal on an Alec Bradley Fine and Rare 2014 release.
- Cigar Federation: We broke exclusive news on the social media site’s first cigar release, “The Collective”.
- DC Tweetup: We learned some additional details around the Asylum 13 Ogre Robusto and the new Edgar Hoill EH Lancero that will be available at the event.
- Drew Estate: We reported on the grand opening of the company’s new DE2 Leaf Processing Facility.
- Gurkha Cigar Group: Juan Lopez and Bianca Melone were guests on Stogie 411 and mentioned a new Gurkha Royal Challenge with a maduro wrapper is being targeted for the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show. Additional projects include an “old school Cuban style” cigar and a new cigar with a shagged foot. The Gurkha regional release was also reconfirmed. Finally the Cellar Reserve with a Corojo wrapper could be released before the year’s end.
- Oliva: We reported on two additional line extensions added to the Oliva Serie V Melanio line.
- PIO Cigars: The company showed off a new band change to its PIO Resurrection.
- Room 101: The Room 101 Master Collection Two is near shipping
- Sindicato Cigar Group: Posted photos on Facebook of the upcoming Sindicato Cigar.
- Viaje: Company President Andre Farkas posted a packaging photo of the Viaje Exclusivo Leaded. A few weeks ago, we noted a report that this would be a new version of the Exclusivo blend incorporating Medio Tiempo tobacco. The photo indicates this will be released as robusto.
- Colorado: A bipartisan bill is being drafted that would raise the legal age to smoke tobacco products to 21.
- FDA: Arkansas Representative Tom Cotton has signed on as a co-sponsor to HR792. The count remains at a total of 137 co-sponsors (138 total sponsors).
- Texas: The city of Houston has instituted a ban on smoking at public housing facilities.
On Episode 82, we welcomed Steven Dru and Joe Torres from ONE 13 Cigars as our special guests. Steven and Joe are two friends who decided to venture into the cigar business. They recently launched their first line – Prelude in both Sumatra and Maduro blend options. We get a little background on Steven and Joe and how their company came about. We also learn about their future plans.
Arturo Fuente Don Arturo Aniversario Destino al Siglo Double Robusto
- February 1st 2011: We paid tribute to North Carolina cigar rep, Nathan Saab.
- February 1st 2011: We reported on Raleigh, NC Passes Outdoor Smoking Ban in Parks
- February 1st 2012: We previewed the My Father Le Bijou 1922 Federal Cigar 91st Cervantes.
- February 1st 2012: We published our February 2012 Editor’s Corner.
- February 1st 2013: We published our February 2013 Editor’s Corner.