The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Aged Selects 2014 Cigar of the Year Countdown
We wrapped up our daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars for the Yea for 2014. This is the fifth consecutive year for the countdown. Thank you to Aged Selects as our official sponsor.
We outlined our vision and criteria in December 2014’s Editor’s Corner. Here were the final five selections:
The full Top 30 Countdown can be found here.
Cigar Coop Post Season Awards
The countdown might be wrapped up, but plenty of more action to follow. We started with our Year in Review with the Top Cigar Industry stories of 2014. We continued with a numerical analysis of the Countdown. We introduced the first of three new categories – Factory of the Year for a Small / Single operation. Here is a rundown of the Awards schedule (subject to change):
12/30/14: 2014 Year in Review: Top 12 Cigar Industry Stories / Themes of 2014
1/1/15 By the Numbers (Editor’s Corner Volume 4, Number 2)
1/2/15: Factory of the Year (Small / Single) – Nica Sueno
1/5/15: Best Aged Cigar
1/6/15: Special Award (To be Announced)
1/7/15: Best NewVitola for 2013
1/8/15: Special Award (To be Announced)
1/9/15: 2014 Honorable Mentions
1/12/15: Top Brand List for 2014
Feature of the Week: Joel Sherman 75th Celebration by Nat Sherman wins Cigar of the Year
Nat Sherman is a brand with an iconic history. About three years ago, Michael Herklots joined the team in the area of Retail and Brand Development. From that point Nat Sherman has enjoyed a resurgence on both the production and distribution ends. This past week, the brand captured the top award on Cigar Coop – the 2014 Cigar of the Year for the Joel Sherman 75th Celebration. We have a full recap on why this cigar has earned a place in cigar history.
The Joel Sherman 75th Celebration comes from the Quesada Factory. The choice for #2 cigar was the Quesada 40th Anniversary Corona Clasica – giving the Quesadas a historic 1-2 on this year’s countdown.
News and Previews
- Cigar Media Association: The group of online media outlets announced the industry’s first collaborative effort ever to recognize the cigar industry.
- La Hoja Cigars: The company announced La Hoja Reserva Limitada 1962 Cigar News: La Hoja Reserva Limitada 1962.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The Intemperance BA XXI Revenge will be moving to Mr J’s Havana Shop and Cigars on 6th.
- Regius Cigars: We previewed the Cigar Toro and Robusto extensions to Exclusivo U.S.A and Exclusivo U.S.A. Claro Especial Lines
- Room 101: The brand will introduce the Master Collection Three in February.
- Tatuaje Cigars: The limited run theTatuaje M80 is returning to Two Guys Smoke Shop in June.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors have signed on to HR792. The total remains at 167 co-sponsors (168 total sponsors).
- Ezra Zion FHK Truth
- My Father Oro de Nicaragua Toro (As first reviewed on Cigar Coop)
- Paul Stulac Red Screaming Sun Mr. Brown
- Tatuaje TAA 2014
We did include a Stogie Geeks Extra with Mark Thompson of Esteban Carreras Cigars.
- January 3rd 2011: We assessed the San Lotano Maduro, our #12 Cigar for 2010.
- January 3rd 2012: We unveiled our 2011 Top 5 Aged Blends of the Year
- January 3rd 2013: We unveiled our list for Best New Vitolas of 2012.
- January 3rd 2014: We unveiled our Best Line Extensions (renamed from Vitolas) for 2013
- January 3rd 2014: We assessed the El Mayimbe (2013) by A.J. Fernandez Cigars