The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature Story: New Orleans Widespread Smoking Ban Passed
While every week there is news of smoking bans, this week the one passed by the New Orleans City Council had a big impact to the cigar industry. This was a pretty encompassing smoking ban. At the same time, the cigar industry has plans to hold its 2015 IPCPR Convention and Trade Show there. While there have been some mitigating amendments that will allow the show to be there, no doubt there will be impacts.
News and Previews
- Camacho: Two new frontmarks have been added to the Camacho Corojo line to coincide with the Original Corojo campaign being launched.
- Compania Hondurena de Tabacos: Ramon Zapata announced he is leaving the company.
- Dunhill: We previewed two new line extensions to the 1907 by Dunhill line.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The company will bring back three of company founder Nestor Miranda’s favorite vitolas in the limited Nestor Miranda Collection One Live Edition series.
- Iowa: Legislation is being introduced to expand the state smoking ban to Casinos. Governor Terry Brandstad has indicated he would sign such proposed legislation.
- Louisiana: As we mentioned above, a widespread smoking ban has passed in New Orleans.
- Nebraska: The smoking ban for cigar bars went into effect. As Glynn Loope on Episode 118 of Stogie Geeks, legislation would be filed to restore smoking in Nebraska cigar bars and smoke shops. State Sen. Tyson Larson introduced a bill to do this. The State Supreme Court had ruled smoking unconstitutional in these shops late last year
- North Dakota: Tobacco tax increases are being proposed through House Bill No. 1421 and Senate Bill No. 2322.
- Virginia: A massive tobacco tax increased for the state has been proposed with House Bill 1590.
- Washington: State Attorney General Bob Ferguson is pushing to raise the age to buy tobacco to 21. State lawmakers are planning on introducing legislation for this request.
- Cigar Oasis Wi-Fi Attachment (Accessory Review)
- Nestor Miranda Collection Habano Robusto
- Rocky Patel Prohibition Broadleaf
- Senor Rio Anejo Toro
- Viaje Farmer Bill Hatchet Handle (2014)
- January 24h 2011: We assessed the Felipe Gregorio W20
- January 24th 2012: We assessed the La Aurora Puro Vintage 2004
- January 24th 2013: We did an Assessment Update of the PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Habana
- January 24th 2013: We re-posted a press release announcing the Hispaniola Cigars’ Turei line.
- January 24th 2013:: We reported on Tequila Avion & Nat Sherman Cigars’ pairing experience
- January 24th 2013: We reported on the upcoming Avo Limited Edition 2013.
- January 24th 2014: We previewed the Rocky Patel Edge B52 Maduro and Corojo.
- January 24th 2014: We reported on Kings Cigars’ Broadleaf Limited Edition and planned Kings line.
- January 24th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Illusione MKULTRA
- January 24th 2014: We reported on Miami Cigar and Company ‘s Event Only “Super Selection” Sampler