The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 7 (Edition 260 1/6/18)
Feature of the Week: Davidoff Announces Plans for 50th Anniversary Celebration Year
2018 marks the 50th Anniversary of Davidoff branded cigars. To mark the occasion, Davidoff is planning a series of activities to commemorate the milestone. Activities include a series of events, specialty commissioned cigars and accessories, and special bands that will adorn several of the White Label releases. We’ve got the details here.
2017 Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the eighth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is releasing its daily Cigar of the Year Countdown. This is our (near) daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars of the year for 2017. This year there was a delayed start, but the Countdown officially began on December 9th. This week we unveiled selections #20 through #15.
- #20: Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Toro
- #19: Warped Maestro del Tiempo 5712
- #18: Archetype Sage Advice Toro by Ventura Cigar Company
- #17: Oliveros All Stars Small Batch No. 5 Basso by Boutique Blends Cigars
- #16: Padrón 1926 Serie No. 90 Maduro
- #15: Davidoff Nicaragua 6 x 60
Year in Review
- We unveiled the “Top 12 Cigar Industry Stories and Themes of 2017“
News and Previews
- Crux Cigar Company: The company shipped the third release of the Crux Limitada PB5.
- Habanos SA: We covered details around the Trinidad La Trova debut in Asia and the CH. Upmann Robustos Añejados.
- IPCPR: Reported an upward trend in retailer premium cigar sales for the pre-Christmas week.
- Jas Sum Kral: Announced it is switching factories it uses for production beginning in 2018.
- Providencia Cigars: Announced its third line, Trinitas.
- We covered “No Click For Pay“
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 140.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 19.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 37, we were live in Boca Raton, Florida at Casa de Montecristo by Prime Cigar to interview both Charlie and Jack Toraño. In addition to catching up with Charlie and Jack, we talked a little NFL playoffs, and weighed in on this year’s end of year lists.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #19, we had a special tribute to Gilberto Oliva, Sr.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 39 (1/18/18): Mike Bellody, MLB Cigar Ventures
Episode 40 (1/25/18): Miguel Schoedel, Crowned Heads
No Show 2/1/18
Episode 41 (2/8/18): Andre Farkas, Viaje Cigars
Special Edition #20 (1/23/18): “Big Game Edition” with Jonathan Carney
Special Edition #21 (2/6/18): Omar de Frias, Fratello Cigars
On this date January 6th…
- January 6th, 2011: We assessed the Gran Habano Azteca.
- January 6th, 2012: We assessed the Casa Fernandez Copacabana
- January 6th, 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Toraño Vault A-008
- January 6th, 2014: We published a list of Honorable Mentions for 2013.
- January 6th, 2014: We reported on Nomad Cigar Company shipping two new sizes of the Nomad S-307.
- January 6th, 2015: We assessed the Swag Black VIP by Boutique Blends Cigars
- January 6th, 2015: We named the factories of Casa Fernandez our Larger/Multi-Faceted Factory of the Year for 2015.
- January 6th, 2016: We reported on the Henry Clay Stalk Cut.
- January 6th, 2016: We assessed the Tatuaje Hyde.
- January 6th, 2016: We reported on the Cigar Media Association Nominees for the 2015 Cigar Industry Awards.
- January 6th, 2016: We named the factories of 2015 Year in Review:Davidoff our Larger/Multi-Faceted Factory of the Year for 2015.
- January 6th, 2017: We assessed the Padrón 1926 Serie No. 48 Natural (TAA Exclusive).
- January 6th, 2017: We reported on the Pinar del Rio Reserva Superior Salomon returning for a limited run at Underground Cigar Shop.
- January 6th, 2017: We named the Mi Querida Ancho Largo by Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust our #6 Cigar of the Year for 2016.