The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Don’t Call it a Comeback!
This week was the biggest week of Cigar News of 2014. Over the past week, two industry names made a comeback after a short hiatus. First industry newcomer Robert Caldwell, who split from Wynwood Cigars last year announced the launch of Caldwell Cigar Company. The other is industry legend Jose Blanco who announced the launch of his own company Las Cumbras Tabaco. Both left their previous positions (Caldwell with Wynwood, Blanco with Joya de Nicaragua) right around the same time, and both announced their launches right around the same time. Both companies should have an impact on the cigar landscape in 2014. Both are also Dominican-based cigar companies and with ProCigar coming up next week, the timing is not surprising. We should hear more announcements over the next week.
News and Previews.
- Asylum Cigars: Christian Eiroa announced that three new sizes of the Asylum 13 Ogre are coming.
- Caldwell Cigar Company: The former partner in Wynwood Cigars has announced the launch of Caldwell Cigar Co. and will launch three blends this spring
- Cigar Federation: Details on “The Collective”, the social media hub’s first cigar were disclosed. We broke exclusive information on this a couple of weeks ago.
- Cubacanan Cigars: The company announced it is ending its affiliation with Tarazona Cigars. Tarazona Cigars will continue to operate independently.
- Debonaire Cigars: Phil Zanghi announced plans for the Debonaire “A” in both natural and maduro.
- Drew Estate: The company announced tha it will open its first Drew Estate branded lounge at Corona Cigar Company and will create lounge exclusive cigar offerings
- E.P. Carrillo / Foundry Tobacco Company: Announced a joint venture called Re+United.
- Ezra Zion Cigar Company: Announced details of Cigar Federation’s “The Collective” – a cigar we broke news on a couple of weeks ago.
- Emilio Cigars: In a photo posted by the company, they indicated the long awaited Mia Dora is targeted for release this year.
- Flor de Gonzalez: We previewed the Flor de Gonzalez 90 Miles Reserva Selecta 6 x 60.
- L’Atelier Imports: As we reported on Episode 84 of Stogie Geeks, the company is planning an extension to its core line with the L’Atelier Lancero.
- Las Cumbres Tabaco: Jose Blanco announced the launch of this new company as well as his first release, the Senorial
- La Flor Dominicana: The company announced its “A Night in Santiago” Event Program featuring LFD Mystery Cigar
- Miami Cigar and Company: The company is planning a new Nestor Miranda Collection Maduro
- Ortega Premium Cigars: The company announced a new line called HeavyDuty – featuring 60 and 70 ring gauge cigars. Eddie Ortega also posted a photo a prototype of what could be the new Ortega Serie D Black.
- Padron Cigars: We noted some information about one of the company’s 50th anniversary commemorative cigars – the Padron Puros Gold.
- Xikar: The accessory company has released the Enigma II Double Flame lighter and hinted at New Humification Product
- Alabama: The Senate has passed SB 168. This is proposed legislation by Senator Vivian Figures in regards to a State-Wide smoking ban. It now is heading for the State House.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors signed on to HR792. The count remains at a total of 137 co-sponsors (138 total sponsors).
- Indiana: The State Supreme Court struck down an Evansville ordinance amendment that would have extended a city smoking ban to bars and restaurants but exempted the Tropicana casino.
Stogie Geeks – Episode 84
We then talked tobacco with Phil Zanghi, co-founder of Debonaire Cigars. We also smoked the Debonaire Sangita. In addition to talking about his current line, Phil discussed some plans for his upcoming Maduro line and talked about a new “A” size project.
Finally we went through our smokes of the week. Our own Mark Jr. provided one of the first reviews of the E.P. Carrillo Inch Short Run 2014 while Stogie Santa provided information (and a review) on the upcoming L’Atelier Lancero.
1502 Nicaragua by Global Premium Cigars (Paul)
1502 Nicaragua by Global Premium Cigars (Pre-Release) (Will)
Brun del Re Gold Robusto
Crowned Heads Four Kicks Robusto
EPC Inch Short Run No. 60
Hechicera by Sotolongo Cigars (Corona)
J Grotto Reserva Lancero Redux
J Grotto Silk Toro
L’Atelier Lancero (Pre-Release)
La Aurora 110th Anniversary Robusto
La Aurora Preferido Sapphire
Leaf by Oscar Maduro
LFD Colorado Oscuro Chisel
Litto Gomez Vintage 2013 Lusitano
Viaje Exclusivo Leaded (Pre-Release)
- February 15th 2011: We assessed the 601 Maduro (Blue Label).
- February 15th 2012: We assessed the Tatuaje Cabaiguan Guapo Natural.
- February 15th 2013: General Cigar Company announced the launch of their new Cigar World website.
- February 15th 2013: We assessed Commonwealth Cedar Spills.