The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Viaje 2014
This week Andre Farkas was our special guest on Stogie Geeks. Andre took us on the “journey” of Viaje over the past seven years – and exclusively shared quite a bit of his plans for 2014. No doubt, Farkas has an exciting year in store as this could be the busiest year to date for the company. We cover information on the Viaje Trifecta, this year’s Zombie releases, and more.
News and Previews.
- 262 Cigars: The company is adding a new 262 Paradigm Corona to its Paradigm line.
- Arango Cigar Company: The company is adding Romeo y Julieta to its exclusive “Clasico” Series.
- Avo: We previewed the Avo Quartet Sampler pack that features the Avo Lounge in a Robusto format and a Mystery Cigar. The Avo 88, which will be the Avo Limited Edition 2014 was announced.
- Bodega Premium Blends: We reprinted a press release announcing a partnership with ICON MANN for the “Power 50” Pre-Oscar Dinner Experience.
- Dunhill: We previewed the upcoming 1907 by Dunhill line.
- JM Tobacco: We previewed the JM Tobacco Dominican Classic Habano.
- Leccia Tobacco: The company announced its third line, the Leccia Luchador.
- My Father Cigars: The company is preparing to launch a new line called La Antiguedad.
- New Jersey Cigar Festival: The 3rd edition of this festival is set for May 4, 2014 in Florham Park. Guests scheduled include: : Phil Zanghi, Debonaire Cigars; Jonathan Drew, Drew Estate; Rafael Nodal, Boutique Blends Cigars; George Sosa, Alec Bradley; Juan Martinez, Joya de Nicaragua; Brian Chinnock, Chinnock Cellars Cigars; and Antonio Lam, Reinado Cigars.
- Partagas: We previewed the second blend in the Partagas 1845 line, the Partagas 1845 Extra Fuerte.
- Punch: We took at look at what to expect with the 2014 Punch Rare Corojo Features Rare Salomones and New Packaging
- FDA: Six new co-sponsors signed on to HR 792: Tim Grifin [R-Arkansas], Cynthia Lummis, Cynthia [R-Wyoming] , Thomas Petri [R-Wisconsin], Joe Courtney [D-Connecticut], Sean Duffy [R-Wisconsin], and Tim Murphy [R-Pennsylvania]. The count is now at total of 144 co-sponsors (145 total sponsors).
- Vermont: The State House has passed a bill sponsored by Rep Bill Frank that expands the number of places where it is illegal to smoke. The bill clarifies the definition of partially enclosed spaces and includes smoking in your car if children are present as well as smoking in hotels. Another amendment to raise the age to buy tobacco from 18 to 21 was withdrawn.
Stogie Geeks – Episode 86
We kicked things off with our smokes of the week:
Arturo Fuente Casa Cuba Doble Seis
Arturo Fuente Anejo Corona
Drew Estates Nica Rustica El Brujito
E.P. Carrillo INCH Short Run 2014 No. 60
Hammer + Sickle Sochi Limited Edition 2014
Illusione Singulaire Rose Criox 2013
Gran Habano Connecticut
Nat Sherman Sterling
Nomad Connecticut Fuerte Robusto (Pre-Release)
Rocky Patel Royale Robusto
Viaje Platino Reserva Double Torpedo (2011)
Viaje WMD 2011
- March 1st 2011: We assessed the Tatuaje Anarchy, a cigar that finished as our #3 Cigar for 2011.
- March 1st 2011: We recapped the Month in Review for February 2011.
- March 1st 2011: We looked at Macanudo Vintage 1997 Maduro, a cigar recently discontinued by General Cigar Company.
- February 29, 2012: We reprinted the press release where Oliveros Cigars announced the Launch of “Boutique Blends Cigars”
- March 1st 2012: We reprinted a press release announcing the 2012 release of the Punch Rare Corojo.
- March 1st 2012: We published our Editor’s Corner for March 2012 discussing Spring 2012 releases.
- March 1st 2012: We assessed the Viaje Super Shot 10 Gauge (Viaje Shotgun Shells)
- March 1st 2013: We printed a story announcing RoMa Craft Tobac’s plans to add bands to Intemperance Lines
- March 1st 2013: We published our Editor’s Corner for March 2013 with thoughts on the proposed IPCPR Consumer Day that was scrapped.