The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: FDA Releases Deeming Document Announcing Regulations for Cigars
Probably the biggest discussion this week was the proposed $10.00 minimum price that will go into the definition of a premium cigar. This seemed to get the most traction this past week.
Gary Griffith, who is known as brand developer for Emilio Cigars also runs 26 stores in the Delaware area across 4 States. He compiled some data that shows why the $10.00 price point does not make sense. This would greatly reduce cigars that are exempt under “Option 2” of the FDA’s proposed regulations
We decided to keep as our feature for another week as there is important information for every cigar enthusiast here.
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
We also recommend some of the following in regards to the FDA:
Cigar Media Association Member, Blind Man’s Puff has some guidance on how to respond comments to the FDA Deeming Rule.
Stogie Guys has done the best work in terms of breaking down the Deeming Rule and providing feedback. Be sure to check out their primer on What the FDA Deeming Document Means to Cigars and their commentary of the proposed $10.00 Floor.
News and Previews.
- 1502 Cigars: The 1502 Emerald Lancero has officially been announced
- Alec Bradley: We previewed the new Alec Bradley Family Blend – The Lineage.
- Alex Goldman: KXTV in Sacramento is reporting that the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and explosives seized assets of cash, sports cars, jewelry, and art belonging to Royal Gold Cigars’ President Alex Goldman. This is part of an investigation that Goldman sold several millions of dollars’ worth of cigars while he owned House of Oxford (prior to joining Royal Gold Cigars) to two unnamed California companies without paying state excise taxes.
- Caldwell Cigar Company: We previewed the Caldwell Collection and the Seleccion Junior Varsity lines.
- Davidoff: Davidoff CEO Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard indicated on his twitter account that the Davidoff Year of the Sheep is targeted for a November release.
- Drew Estate: The company announced it has entered into a distribution agreement with Tsuge Pipes to distribute their product in the U.S. and Canada. In addition, the Herrera Esteli Lancero – Edicion Limitada 2014 is now heading to retailers.
- Dunhill: We previewed the 1907 by Dunhill in more detail.
- La Aurora: The Guillermo Leon Signature Ambassador will become retailer W. Curtis Draper’s (2nd) 127th Anniversary.
- MLB Cigar Ventures: Mike Bellody’s new company announced its first cigar – Imperia.
- Sindicato Cigar Group: The eponymous Sindicato Cigar has officially been announced.
- FDA: We covered the release of the FDA Deeming Document above. With Congress on vacation, no new co-sponsors signed on the HR792. The count remains at total of 153 co-sponsors (154 total sponsors).
- Louisiana: House Bill 1210, which would have proposed an 80 cent tax on tobacco in the City of New Orleans died in a House Committee.
- Pennsylvania: Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter signed an executive order banning smoking in City Parks.
This weeks smokes of the week included:
Debonaire Belicoso & Toro
601 La Bomba Warhead
Arturo Fuente Don Arturo Gran Aniversario Destino Al Siglo Robusto
Ashton Cabinet Selection No. 1 Connecticut Perfecto
Avo XO Maestoso Tubos
Cabaiguan Guapos RX Natural
El Rey del Mundo Perfecto
“Fuente Heavy Hitters“
Illusione MK (Mark Jr)
Illusione MK (Paul)
Leccia Luchador El Hombre by Leccia Tobacco (Pre Release)
Merlion by La Sirena Sea Lion Maduro
Montecristo Epic Vintage 2007 Toro
Royal Gold Kismet
San Cristobal Clasico
Viaje Plata Lancero (Part of the Viaje Trifecta)
WCD 127 Tatuaje Limited Edition
- May 3rd 2012: We reprinted the press release announcing Smoke Inn’s Fourth Installment of Their Microblend Series – the Solaris By Arturo Fuente.
- May 3rd 2012: We assessed the Avo 80th (Avo LE 2006)
- May 3rd 2013: We previewed the El Centurion (2013) by Don Pepin Garcia
- May 3rd 2013: We re-assessed the Casa Miranda Chapter One by Miami Cigar and Company