The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: New Releases Hit Shops
This week was a slow week for Cigar News, but three major releases made their way to retailers over the past few days. We have covered many of these over the past few weeks
(*) Assessed below – See assessments section.
FDA Regulatory Information
The big news is the White House as responded and rejected the petition to not have have the FDA regulate premium cigars. The response was actually authored by Mitch Zeller, Director of the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Tobacco Products. In addition, CRA has issued guidance to public comment to the proposed FDA regulations. We have our digest below:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
We also recommend some of the following in regards to the FDA:
- Cigar Media Association Member, Blind Man’s Puff also has some guidance on how to respond comments to the FDA Deeming Rule.
- Stogie Guys has done the best work in terms of breaking down the Deeming Rule and providing feedback. Be sure to check out their primer on What the FDA Deeming Document Means to Cigars and their commentary of the proposed $10.00 Floor.
News and Previews.
- Alex Goldman: In a follow-up to KXTV in Sacramento’s report about the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives cash, sports cars, jewelry, and art belonging to Royal Gold Cigars’ President Alex Goldman, Cigar Insider is reporting that Goldman signed a Civil settlement this past April admitting to enough evidence to warrant his property being taken. Goldman told Cigar Insider that matter had come to resolution. They also report the Department of Justice says this is an on-going investigation
- Boutique Blends Cigars: Details of the Aging Room Bin No. 1 surfaced this week.
- El Cedro Cigars: The company is planning a 6 x 56 Toro line extension. This Toro will feature a different blend and wrapper from the original El Cedro.
- Illusione Cigars: A possible Illusione Ultra OP No. 7? The Illusione web-site lists this vitola as “TBA”. The only hint is that it is a parejo.
- Kristoff Cigars: Company President Glen Case posted a picture on Instagram and his Facebook of a Kristoff 685 Woodlawn Maduro. Case commented on his Facebook page “Kristoff 685 Maduro, could it be?” and then added “The current release is a Cubra wrapper. This is totally different. An experiment in the works. Stay tuned.”
- Melillo International: Drew Estate Executive Vice President Nicholas Melillo announced he is leaving the company to form his own consulting venture Melillo International.
- Padron Cigars: Cigar Aficionado reports that a Padron Family Reserve 50 is in the works. It is expected to join another release which is believed to be the Puros Gold cigar. No word if the Family Reserve will be released in the usual Natural and Maduro formats.
- Warped Cigars: The El Oso MaMa, a 7 x 38 lancero that be the latest line extension will feature a new blend.
- FDA: In addition to our digest above, two new sponsors, Edward Royce [R-California] and Randy Hultgren [R-IL] have signed on as co-sponsors to HR792. The count is now at total of 155 co-sponsors (156 total sponsors).
- May 10th 2011: We assessed the original Reinado blend.
- May10th 2013: We reported on the return of the NPDR BOTL Small Batch Cigar.
- May 10th 2013: We assessed the Espinosa Maduro
- May 10th 2013: We re-assessed the Casa Miranda Chapter One by Miami Cigar and Company