The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is now live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
Feature of the Week: Viaje May Shipment
Andre Farkas threw a couple of surprises into his latest shipments of his small batch products. First up, we learned that the Viaje Zombie Antidote, a cigar he broke news on during his appearance on Stogie Geeks will be hitting retailers. However, the big surprise would be the packaging – the syringe shaped vitola will come packaged in a prescription style jar.
Another surprise was the release of the Viaje Cloudmaker, a 5 x 60 offering in the Skull and Bones with a white label will be released in this latest batch.
Finally the Viaje Roman Candle as well as the Viaje Skull and Bones FOAB and MOAB are returning and will be a part of the May shipment
FDA Regulatory Information
We are into the period of public comment for the FDA’s proposed regulations. We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
We also recommend some of the following in regards to the FDA:
- Cigar Media Association Member, Blind Man’s Puff also has some guidance on how to respond comments to the FDA Deeming Rule.
- Stogie Guys has done the best work in terms of breaking down the Deeming Rule and providing feedback. Be sure to check out their primer on What the FDA Deeming Document Means to Cigars and their commentary of the proposed $10.00 Floor. Finally they have written an article that poses some questions for the FDA.
News and Previews.
- Alec Bradley: The company has announced a second 7 x 70 cigar, the Alec Bradley Texas Lancero.
- Cohiba (Atladis USA): The Comador, the project done in collaboration with entertainer Jay Z is now available in three sizes and in more traditional boxes.
- Edgar Hoill Cigars: We previewed the new EH Lancero.
- La Sirena Cigars: The company confirmed that its core line La Sirena Original will be reblended and production will be moved to Erik Espinosa’s La Zona factory. The company also confirmed that Oceano by La Sirena will be the new line coming out of the Quesada factory.
- Lou Rodriguez Cigars: Justin Andrews, VP was a guest on Cigar Chat and made several announcements including a 6 x 64 maduro extension of the Lou Rod line called the Lou Rod Jawbreaker, the return of the La Mano Negra as an annual release, a new blend called Double Nickel that Andrews played a role in blending, and a project called La Mano Dios being done in collaboration with a “gigantic name in the industry”.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The Nestor Miranda Collection, a revamping of the Nestor Miranda line is beginning to pre-launch and will come in three blends: Connecticut (Blue), Habano (Green), and Maduro (Red). Each blend will come in four sizes: 6 x 46, 4 1/2 x 50, 5 1/2 x 44, and 6 x 60. A pre-release launch was held at Cigar King in Scottsdale, Arizona this past week.
- Nat Sherman: The company announced and has made available the new Nat Sherman Host Selection Maduro.
- Sindicato Cigars: The company’s fifth blend, the Casa Bella Maduro has shipped to retailers.
- Torano Family Cigars: Jack Torano was a recent guest on The Cigar Authority and mentioned plans for the company’s releases at the 2014 IPCPR. At the forefront are plans for a “Charlie Torano” branded cigar. He also said 7 x 70 line extensions are planned for the 50 Year Exodus and possibly Loyal. He also mentioned the re-packaged Brick is planned for launch at the IPCPR Trade Show and that it would be moving into 100 count boxes.
- Warped Cigars: The company told us there will be an IPCPR only cigar, that the company will be releasing at this year’s trade show. The company also announced a its I-Series Collection of cigar cases.
- District of Columbia: B20-750 is being proposed by the D.C. City Council that would expand the cigarette tax rate of 80% to all tobacco products, and remove the current premium cigar exemption
- FDA: No new co-sponsors were added to HR792. The total remains at total of 155 co-sponsors (156 total sponsors).
We also smoked the Quesada 40th Anniversary Corona Clasica as our featured cigar of the week. Meanwhile our smokes of the week this week included:
Debonaire First Degree
Arturo Fuente Unnamed Reserve Robusto (2013)
Cohiba Magico Maduro
D’Crossier Golden Blend Aged 10 Years Robusto
G.A.R. Red by George Rico 660
H. Upmann Bank Note TAA Exclusive
La Flor Dominicana 2014 TAA Exclusive – The 707
Miami Cigar & Co. 25th Anniversary Dominican Edition
My Father TAA Exclusive 2014
Quesada 40th Anniversary Salomon Press
RoMa Craft Intemperance EC XVIII Brotherly Kindness
San Lotano The Bull Torpedo
Tarazona Cigars 305 Toro
Tatuaje Fausto Lancero
- May 31st 2012: We assessed the Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Maduro
- May 31st 2012: We re-posted a press release announcing the JM Tobacco Classic Petits” Line
- May 31st 2013: We assessed the “E” by BOTL LLC
- May 31st 2013: We previewed the Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro