The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is now live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
We have commenced our IPCPR Preview Series with our initial installment – the our annual feature, “The Five Boutiques to Watch.”
Feature of the Week: New CEO for IPCPR
It’s been 273 days since IPCPR has been without a Chief Operating Officer. That all changed Friday when the it was announced that Mark Pursell was named CEO. We were the first media outlet to report this news. Pursell comes from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) where he was a Senior Vice President. Pursell played a key role in the NAHB’s Trade Show – which is one of the largest in the light construction industry.
The big news this week is that the period for Public Comment to the FDA’s Deeming Document has been extended 30 days until August 8th. If you are looking for guidance on how to comment, follow the links below:
We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
- FDA Extends Public Comment Period 30 Days
- Small Business Administration Says Economic Impact to Proposed FDA Regulations Underestimated
News and Previews.
Without a doubt, this was the busiest week of news in the cigar industry. Many companies are now starting to make their product announcements for the IPCPR 2014 Trade Show.
- Ocean State Cigars: Paul Joyal’s company formally announced its fourth line and first Connecticut Broadleaf, the J. Grotto Anniversary.
- 7-20-4 Cigars: Kurt Kendall’s company announced its fifth line, the 7-20-4 Factory 57.
- CAO Cigars: The CAO Art of Craft Sampler Pack is heading to Total Wine shops.
- Credo: The French company will launch three new cutters at 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Davidoff: The company announced its 2014 nominees for its 3rd Annual Golden Band Awards.
- Drew Estate: The company announced that MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured Flying Pig is going to be released this summer. We also learned that the Undercrown Flying Pig was brought to an event in Louisville Kentucky.
- E.P. Carrillo: We previewed the long awaited Perez-Carrillo La Historia. 60 ring gauge Line extensions are also coming to the Cardinal and E-Stunner lines.
- Gran Habano: The company will be launching the new S.T.K. Miami Barracuda Maduro at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
- JM Tobacco: We previewed the JM Tobacco Havana Preferred.
- MGM Cigars: After disappearing from the U.S. market, the company announced that its Buena Vista Cigar Brand and Buena Vista Reserva 2008 cigar are returning.
- Ortega Premium Cigars: The company teamed up with Tobaccology in Manasses, Virginia for “The Glynn Loope Project” – a project where proceeds will support Cigar Rights of America.
- Regius Cigars: The Regius Seleccion Orchant is returning for 2014 and a new vitola is being added.
- Sindicato Cigars: The company officially announced the Sindicato Maduro.
- Table 36: We previewed the Table 36 Peacemaker.
- Tatuaje: We took a look at the new Tatuaje Pudgy Monsters – which started making its way to retailers this week.
- Villiger North America: The company announced its Brazilian puro, Tobajara by Villiger is heading to U.S. Market.
- Zander-Greg: The company will introduce the Nat Cicco HHB Habano and line extensions to Nat Cicco Aniversario 1965.
Legislative News (Other)
- FDA: One new co-sponsor was aded to HR792 as Rep Henry Cuellar [D-Texas] has signed on. The total remains at total of 156 co-sponsors (157 total sponsors). Meanwhile the American Academy of Family Physicians signed on to a letter sent to the leaders of the House Committee of Appropriations opposing any exemption for premium cigars from FDA regulation.
- Kentucky: The State Supreme Court on Thursday overturned a smoking ban approved three years ago by the Bullitt County Board of Health. The court ruled that the board does not have such authority to make a ban, therefore ruled the ban invalid.
- June 21st 2012: We assessed the Quesada Q D’Etat Howitzer.
- June 21st 2012: We posted a press release on the Sosa Classic 6 x 60
- June 21st 2012: We posted a feature story (featuring video from Steve Saka) on “The Origins of Criollo Seed Tobacco“.
- June 21st 2013: We assessed the Atabey by Selected Tobacco
- June 21st: 2013: We previewed the Ortega Mini Cigars line.