The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
We have completed four installments of our 2014 IPCPR Preview Series. Part 5 will be this Sunday.
Feature of the Week: Cubanacan Cigars Announces HR Blend
We are getting into the rapid-fire pre-IPCPR coverage for this year’s trade show. While a lot of big announcements have been made, perhaps this one could be the most significant. This week Cubanacan Cigars announced a partnership with Hirochi Robaina, the grandson of the legendary Don Alejandro Robaina for the new HR Blend. Hirochi currently runs the Vegas Robaina farm located in Pinar del Rio, Cuba which has been in his family since the 1800s. Gonzalez who has over 40 years involved in the cigar industry from the cultivation of tobacco to spending many of those years overseeing La Corona Cigar Factory, one of the largest factories in Havana. The HR Blend will be made at the Cubanacan factory in Nicaragua. The cigar will be positioned as a new brand under the Cubanacan Cigars umbrella and will be launched at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
IPCPR News and Previews.
This week the busy news leading up to the IPCPR 2014 Trade Show continued. All of these cigars will be launched at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
- A.J. Fernandez Cigars: The company officially announced its new line, the A.J. Fernandez New World.
- Ashton Cigars: We previewed a new limited edition cigar planned for the La Aroma de Cuba line, the La Aroma de Cuba Noblesse.
- Boutique Blends Cigars: We previewed the Swag Black – a cigar that will be launched at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
- C & C Cigars: We took a look at the upcoming new line – Dram Cigars for Whiskey.
- Camacho Cigars: The company is planning a barberpole release called Camacho DoubleShock – a release expected to be showcased at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Cordoba & Morales: The company has announced the new Cordoba & Morales Clave Cubana Etiqueta Blanca.
- Crux Cigar Company: This new company will launch three new lines – Crux assport, Crux Classic, and Crux Bull & Bear.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company is launching the Brazilian wrapper cigar line called Espinosa Laranja Reserva.
- Nomad Cigar Company: The company will launch its new Nomad C-276. Meanwhile the company also announced a new Nomad Connecticut Belicoso.
- L’Atelier Imports: The company has announced the L’Atelier Imports to Introduce L’Atelier Travailleurs, Surrogates Cracker Crumbs, El Suelo Vuelos, and Trocadero Ruelles – a series of 4 1/2 x 38 line extensions that will be sold in five packs.
- Legacy Brands: We exclusively previewed the soon to be released Tortuga 215 Reserva Cedro No. 10.
- La Palina Cigars: The La Palina Black Label was unveiled this week.
- Nat Sherman: The Joel Sherman 75th Celebration – a cigar for Nat Sherman CEO Joel Sherman was announced.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company will be branding its own coffee called Intemperance Cigar Blend Coffee.
- The Griffin’s: We previewed the The Griffin’s Anniversary Edition 2014 Club House II.
- Torano Family Cigars: The company officially announced the Charlie Torano Captiva – the eponymous cigar for company president Charlie Torano.
- Total Flame Cigars: The Amarillo-based operation plans to launch four blends – all in single vitolas: Total Flame Wild One, Total Flame Premium Perfecto, Total Flame Spokes, and the Total Flame OTR (Off the Rails)
- Cigar Federation: It was announced that Ezra Zion Cigars has sold the social media website to Logan Lawler.
- Cigar Media Association: Announced Cigar Memoir and Toasted Foot as members bringing the total up to 17.
- Crowned Heads: Federal Cigar in New Hampshire is receiving the Headley Grange Snaredrum. This is a shop exclusive to the New Hampshire retailer based on the Headley Grange blend. It is the first shop exclusive by Crowned Heads.
- FDA: No new sponsors were added to HR792 this week. The total remains at 157 co-sponsors (158 total sponsors)
- The period for Public Comment to the FDA’s Deeming Document has been extended 30 days until August 8th. If you are looking for guidance on how to comment, follow the links below:
We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
- FDA Extends Public Comment Period 30 Days
- Small Business Administration Says Economic Impact to Proposed FDA Regulations Underestimated
- OMB Strikes Language From FDA’s Proposed Regulations for Premium Cigars
Our smokes of the week included:
Cuellar Connecticut Krēmē by Villiger Cigars
J. Grotto Anniversary T650 by Ocean State Cigars (Pre-Release)
La Antiguedad Toro by My Father Cigars
Las Cumbres Tabaco Senorial by Jose Blanco Corona Gordo No. 5
Leaf by Oscar Sumatra – Toro
- July 12h 2011: We assessed the Aging Room Cigars M356.
- July 12th 2011: We reprinted a press release announcing the Torano Vault A-008.
- July 12th 2012: We assessed the Liga Privada Unico Serie UF-4 by Drew Estate
- July 12th 2013: We previewed the Rocky Patel Freedom “The Works” Sampler
- July 12th 2013: We previewed the Nimmy D by Rocky Patel.
- July 12th 2013: We published our Part 6 of 2013 IPCPR Trade Show Preview – “Predictions for the Five Hottest Cigars“.
- July 12th 2013: We previewed what was to be the Rocky Patel Ray Lewis Legends 52
- July 12th 2013: We previewed Cigar Maker Placards by Commonwealth Cedar Spills