The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Lack of Coverage (Editor’s Corner September 2014)
This week could rank as one of the quietest ones in the cigar industry from our perspective. This week’s feature focuses on our September 2014 Editor’s Corner column in which we challenge the claims that there was lack of coverage and a lack of interest of this year’s 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Boutique Blends Cigars: Co-owners Rafael Nodal and Hank Bischoff were guests on Stogie Geeks. The two discussed the new Aging Room M356ii and other significant projects coming next year.
- Crowned Heads: Cigar Federation broke news this week on the company’s regional release called Mason Dixon. These will be two different blends – one aimed at the Northern United States and one aimed at the Southern United States.
- E.P. Carrillo: Federal Cigar is receiving its third shop exclusive from E.P. Carrillo – the E.P. Carrillo Medalla D’Platino.
- Nomad Cigar Company: In his weekly newsletter, owner Fred Rewey has said he is working on blends slated for 2015 – 2016. These blends are predominantly Nicaraguan. He also mentioned the possibility of a limited edition as he has encountered some aged tobacco worth experimenting with.
- Warped Cigars: Owner Kyle Gellis told Cigar Coop there is a new marca slated for a December release coming out of El Titan de Bronze. Gellis said there will be a single vitola offering of 100 boxes to start that will be available in December. Regular production vitolas will follow in Q1 of 2015.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors were added to HR792. The total remains at 161 co-sponsors (162 total sponsors)
- Texas: Legislation passed in July has gone into effect banning smoking in parks and libraries in the city of Houston.
- Buena Vista Reserva 2008 by MGM Cigars
- Ditka Signature by Camacho Cigars
- La Colmena Amado No. 44 by Warped Cigars
- Undercrown Flying Pig by Drew Estate
- Viaje Collaboration 2014
Stogie Geeks Episode 108
We also welcomed Rafael Nodal and Hank Bischoff from Boutique Blends back to Stogie Geeks. The two talked about their four new releases from IPCPR and gave us a peek into some new projects coming in the future.
Our smokes of the week included:
Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 8-8-8 (Mark Jr)
Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 8-8-8 (Paul)
Avo 2nd Movement TAA Limited Release
Caldwell Collection – The King is Dead – Broken Sword
E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2011 Bombones
Federal Cigar 93rd Anniversary Reserve No. 2 by Oliva
H Upmann Half Corona
Leaf by Oscar Connecticut
Nat Sherman Epoca Admiral
Epoca by Nat Sherman Senator
Joel Sherman 75th Celebration by Nat Sherman
My Father Limited Edition 2010
Undercrown Flying Pig by Drew Estate
Viaje Collaboration 2014
- September 6th 2010: We assessed the Gurkha Vintage Shaggy Maduro.
- September 6th 2010: We took a reported on the Torano Family Cigar Booth at the 2010 IPCP Trade Show.
- September 6th 2011: We assessed the Viaje Late Harvest Estate Grown
- September 6th 2012: A distribution agreement was announced between Guayacan Cigars and Emilio Cigars
- September 6th 2012: We assessed the Viaje Oro Collector’s Edition
- September 6th 2013: We provided an Assessment Update on the L’Atelier LAT52.