The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Aged Selects 2014 Cigar of the Year Countdown
In a Cigar Coop December tradition, we began a daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars for the Yea for 2014. This is the fifth consecutive year for the countdown. We are proud to welcome Aged Selects as our official sponsor.
We outlined our vision and criteria in this month’s Editor’s Corner. Here were this week’s selections #30 through #26:
Feature of the Week: U.S. House Members Request Change in Grandfather Date in Proposed Deeming Regulations
This was a story we didn’t see get the press it deserved. Word came out this week that three U.S. Congressman wrote to the Department of Health and Human Services requesting the grandfather date for tobacco products subject to the proposed Deeming Regulations be moved from February 15, 2007 to either April 25th, 2014 or a date the final rule was published. The representatives sending the letter include Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio), House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-California), and Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-Michigan).
News and Previews
- Davidoff: The company is unveiling its “The Miami Collection” humidors at Art Basel in Miami Beach, Florida.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company announced a a lounge exclusive series called “Back Room Series.” The first release “The Alibi” was also announced.”
- La Flor Dominicana: We previewed the La Flor Dominicana TCFKA M Collector’s Edition 2014.
- Padilla Cigar Company: Padilla Cigars distribution agreement with Oliva Cigar Company is over effective January 15th. The company plans on taking back its own distribution.
- PDR Cigars: We previewed the A. Flores Gran Reserva Habano.
- Viaje: The company has confirmed the return of the Viaje Holiday Blend Candy Cane for 2014.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors have signed on to HR792. The total remains at 167 co-sponsors (168 total sponsors).
- The Buckingham by Crowned Heads
- La Aurora Preferidos Diamond Corona Especiales
- Viva Republica Propaganda Five and a Half Truth
This week’s Stogies of the Week included:
J. Grotto Anniversary P555 by Ocean State Cigars
Arturo Fuente Opus X Perfecxion X 1992 Rare Estate Reserve Tin of 3
The Buckingham by Crowned Heads
La Aurora Preferidos Diamond Corona Especiales
Viva Republica Propganda Five and a Half Truth
- December 6th 2010: We unveiled our #25 Cigar for 2010 – the Guillermo Leon Signature.
- December 6th 2011: We previewed the My Uzi Weighs a Ton Bait Fish.
- December 6th 2011 We unveiled our #25 Cigar for 2011 – the Quesada Oktoberfest.
- December 6th 2012 We previewed La Grande Classe by Dion Giolito.
- December 6th 2012 We unveiled our #25 Cigar for 2012 – the Timeless Collection (Dominican) by Nat Sherman.
- December 6th 2013 We reported on RoMa Craft’s Intemperance EC XVIII Brotherly Kindness and BA XXI Breach of the Peace being planned for a February 2014 Release.
- December 6th 2013 We reported on the RoMa Craft Tobac Nica Sueno Holiday Sampler heading to Tobacco Locker.
- December 6th 2013 We unveiled our #25 Cigar for 2013 – the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Island Jim
- December 6th 2013: We reported on XIKAR planning an auction of the 1,000th Fossil Mammoth Ivory Xi3 Cutter for Cigars for Warriors.
- December 6th 2013: We reported on Benji Menendez retirement from General Cigar, and previewed the Benji Homage 62 Cigar.
- December 6th 2013: We previewed the Room 101 Namakubi Ecuador H-Town – a Shop -Exclusive to Stogies World Class Cigars