The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Today is our 105th consecutive edition of this weekly report. We start yea three next of our report.
Feature Story: Cigar Coop Post Season Awards
We completed our 2014 Post Season Awards. You can catch see a summary of our big award winners here.
12/30/14: 2014 Year in Review: Top 12 Cigar Industry Stories / Themes of 2014
12/31/14: Cigar of the Year : Joel Sherman 75th Celebration by Nat Sherman, Full Top 30
1/1/15 By the Numbers (Editor’s Corner Volume 4, Number 2)
1/2/15: Factory of the Year (Small / Single) – Nica Sueno
1/5/15: Best Aged Cigar (Room 101 Namakubi)
1/6/15: Factory of the Year (Larger or Multi-Faceted) – Tabacalera Tropical / Casa Fernandez
1/7/15: Best Line Extensions for 2014 (Padron 1964 Anniversary Belicoso TAA Exclusive Maduro)
1/8/15: Cigar Industry Person(s) of the Year – Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard and Jim Young
1/9/15: The Honorable Mentions
1/13/15: Top Brand Performers List for 2014 (Regius Cigars)
Feature Story: Hamlet Espinal Succeeds Henke Kelner as General Manager of TABADOM Factory
In what could be a signaling of the changing of the guard, Hamlet Espinal will become the new General Manager of TABADOM replacing the legendary Henke Kelner. Kelner will still continue as the Vice Chairman and still be involved in blending as well as a brand ambassador.
News and Previews
- Altadis USA: The new Romeo Anejo by Romeo y Julieta was announced.
- Avo Cigars: We had details of the rollout of the revamped Avo Cigars portfolio.
- Cigar Media Association: Announced Crowned Heads as its Brand of the Year, the Illusione Fume D’Amour as its Cigar of the Year, and Cigar Dojo as the Cigar Media Member of the Year.
- Davidoff: Announced details around the Davidoff Pause sampler.
- IPCPR: The retailer’s trade association for the premium cigar and pipe industry announced they are moving their headquarters from Columbus, Georgia to Washington, DC.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The CroMagnon Fomorian is returning for 2015.
- Room 101 Cigars: We previewed the Room 101 Master Collection Three.
- Warped Cigars: The company has announced a new line called La Hacienda that will be made in Nicaragua.
- Louisiana: With the 2015 Trade Show taking place this year in New Orleans, IPCPR issued an alert to retailers and customers to make their voice heard on a potential public smoking ban. The final vote could take place as early as January 22nd.
- Kansas: Governor Sam Brownback has proposed a tax hike on tobacco.
- FDA: New legislation is expected to be filed with the House of Representatives and Senate to exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation.
- Casa Magna Domus Magnus II Trajan by Quesada Cigars (As reviewed first on Cigar Coop)
- Davidoff Winston Churchill Toro (Pre-Release – as reviewed first on Cigar Coop)
- Illusione Pactum (Part of the Smoke Inn MicroBlend Series)
- Lavida Habana (LH) Maduro LH52 (As reviewed first on Cigar Coop)
- La Flor Dominicana 1994 Rumba
Alec Bradley Mundial Punta Lanza No. 5
Arturo Fuente Opus X Shark (2014 Toast Across America)
Bandolero Bravos 52 by Selected Tobacco
Casa De Montecristo Exclusivo
Cubanacan Soneros Maduro Corona Gorda
Davidoff Winston Churchill Toro
El Rey de los Habanos by Don Pepin Garcia Robusto
Flor de Selva Tempo Maduro by Maya Selva Cigars
Hammer & Sickle Icon Churchill
La Flor Dominicana 1994 Rumba
Matlide Renacer Corona
Nomad Connecticut Fuerte Robusto
Senorial 65th Anniversary Perfecto Elegance by Las Cumbres Tabaco
- January 17th 2011: We took a look at the proposed Outdoor smoking ban in Raleigh, NC.
- January 17th 2012: We assessed the Macanudo 1968
- January 17th 2013: A cigar called the Alec Bradley Black Market Dirty Hooligan was announced. It was renamed the Black Market Filthy Hooligan afterwards.
- January 17th 2013: We assessed the a pre-release of the Heisenberg by Quesada
- January 17h 2013:: We previewed the Viaje Skull and Bones Fat Man and Little Boy 2013
- January 17h 2014: We took a first look at Espinosa Cigars and Smoke Inn’s 601 La Bomba Bunker Buster
- January 17th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Illusione Rothchildes.