The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Eddie Ortega and Sean Williams to Launch Larceny – a Project Made at La Zona Factory
If you followed Cigar Coop this week, then you learned first about the joint project between Eddie Ortega and Sean Williams called “Larceny”. While that is news in of itself, there is another part of this story, as the project is being done at Erik Espinosa’s La Zona factory. This marks the first time that Ortega and Espinosa have been working together since they dissolved their company EO Brands back in 2012.
News and Previews
- 262 Cigars: If you followed Cigar Coop you saw we this an exclusive first report on the 262 Allegiance Lancero.
- Bellatto / Caldwell / Sears: The company announced a series of new projects slated for 2015: Buck 15, Silent Shout, and Pepper Cream Soda Toro Size
- Black Label Trading Company: If you followed Cigar Coop you saw we this an exclusive first report in the Texas based company’s announcement it was opening its own factory – Fabrica de Oveja.
- Davidoff: The company is launching a series its Davidoff Exclusive Series 2015 – a series of shop exclusives to tailored for specific retail partners. Davidoff will also showcase its upcoming Davidoff Limited Masters Edition 2015 at ProCigar 2015’s charity auction. Finally the company announced it will team up with Quintessentially Lifestyle to launch the Hourglass Lounge Global Concierge Service
- Gurkha Cigar Group: The company announced the Gurkha Maharaja – the company’s second super premium luxury cigar.
- La Aurora Cigars: The Dominican Cigar Maker’s new Puro Vintage 2006 Edicion Limitada 111 Aniversario will debut at ProCigar 2015’s Auction.
- Punch: The General Cigar Company brand is launching its new Punch Signature.
- Tabacalera Palma: Owner Jochy Blanco will debut his company’s planned 79th Anniversary Cigar at ProCigar 2015.
- Viaje: We previewed the the latest vitola to be released in the Friends and Family series – the Viaje Friends and Family Merci.
- Warped Cigars: The third vitola in the Flor De Valle line, Las Brumas is targeted for an early Spring Release.
- Cuba: H.R.735 and S.491 have been introduced to the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate to lift the embargo on Cuba.
- FDA: Legislation was introduced to the United States Senate with S. 441. This is the replacement bill for the 114th Congress to pass into law to exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation. Congressman Bill Nelson of Florida filed the legislation and an additional 10 co-sponsors signed on. Meanwhile 11 co-sponsors signed on to the companion House bill H.R. 662 bringing the total to 46 sponsors [45 co-sponsors]: Dan Benishek [R-MI], Carlos Curbelo [R-FL], Jeff Denham [R-CA], Jeff Duncan [R-SC], George Holding [R-NC], Richard Hudson [R-NC], Darrell Issa [R-CA], Todd Rokita [R-IN], Ileana Ros-Lehtinen [R-FL], Bill Shuster [R-PA], Tim Walberg [R-MI]
- Kentucky: House Bill 145, the proposed Statewide Smoking Ban that would ban smoking in workplaces and indoor public places passed in the State General Assembly by a 51-46 vote. It is the first time this blend has passed in one of the legislative chambers. It now moves to the Senate, but word is it faces a tough battle there.
- Nebraska: Legislative Bill 118 sponsored by State Senator Tyson Larson that proposes restoring smoking to Cigar Bars in the State got approval in a second round of voting. It now heads for a final vote.
- New Hampshire: Governor Maggie Hasssan has proposed an increase to the state tobacco tax in her proposed budget.
- North Dakota: The tobacco tax increased proposed by House Bill No. 1421 was defeated 56-34. There is talk of putting this to a Statewide vote.
- Pennsylvania: Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter and the City Council are considering ending smoking ban exemptions.
- Vermont: Bill H93 is being proposed by State Rep. George Till. This proposing raising the age smoking age in the state to 21. The proposal goes to the Human Services committee who will decide whether to advance the bill.
- La Flor Dominicana TCKFA M Collector’s Edition 2014
- Pepper Cream Soda Robusto (Supreme Cream) by Bellatto / Caldwell / Sears
- Sensei’s Sensational Sarsaparilla by Espinosa Cigars
- Southern Draw Firethorn Robusto
Avo Limited Edition 2010 – Avo LE10 (Part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler)
La Flor Dominicana TCFKA M Collector’s Edition 2014
Southern Draw Firethorn Robusto
Tatuaje TAA 2014
Trinidad Reyes (Cuban)
We updated our Stogie Feed from Episode 128 with the following cigars:
1875 Romeo y Julieta Tres by Altadis USA
Arturo Fuente Opus x Love Affair
Arturo Fuente Rosado Sun Grown Magnum R Super 60
Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Robusto
Atabey Ritos by Selected Tobacco
Avo Classic No.3 Presidente (Tubo)
Avo Limited Edition 2009 Companero (Part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler)
Coronado By La Flor Dominicana Perfecto
Elogio Habano Robusto
Hammer + Sickle Tradicion Serie Robusto
La Aurora Cien Anos Preferido
- February 14th 2011: We reported on plans for Jim Colucci to retire from Altadis USA.
- February 14th 2012: We previewed General Cigars’s plans for its 2012 Punch Rare Corojo Release.
- February 14th 2013: We previewed the shop exclusive line extension, the La Aurora 107 “Reverend Mike” – Retail Exclusive.
- February 14th 2013: We reported on IPCPRs plans to abandon an idea for a Consumer Day.
- February 14th 2013: We previewed Crowned Heads’ J.D. Howard Reserve.
- February 14th 2013: We previewed the Davidoff Puro d’Oro Gorditos
- February 14th 2013: We took a look at upcoming projects for Tatuaje in 2014.
- February 14th 2014: We discussed some upcoming plans for Debonaire.
- February 14th 2014: We previewed the L’Atelier Lancero.
- February 14th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the VegaFina Sumum Edicion Especial 2010 Toro.
- February 14th 2014: We previewed the launch of Caldwell Cigar Company and their first three blends.
- February 14th 2014: We took a look at a project called Padron Puros Gold – which became the Padron 50th Anniversary line.