The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 45 (Edition 142 10/3/15)
Feature of the Week: Reports Premature on UPS and USPS Ending Tobacco Shipments
Last week, we learned that global courier FedEx will end all tobacco shipments effective January 5, 2015. This set off reports that UPS and the United States Postal Service were going to follow suit. As we heard from IPCPR Senior Director of Legislative Affairs Kip Talley, this report is premature.
News and Previews
- Davidoff: Oettinger Davidoff AG has entered into a joint venture company aimed at growing its market in China.
- Macanudo: We reported that the brand with is a part of Scandinavian Tobacco is planning on releasing the Macanudo Inspirado Black to the International market. This cigar was showcased at Inter-Tabac 2015.
- My Father Cigars: Starting in November 2015, the Don Pepin Original Demi-Tasse will be available in six count tins.
- Tatuaje: The “Unlucky 13” retailers who will be carrying the “dress box” of Tatuaje Hyde have been announced
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors signed on. The total sponsor remains at 17.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, two new co-sponsors signed on – Rep Bernie Thompson [D-Missouri] and Rep Charles Rangel [D-New York] The total number of sponsor is now at 139.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 27.
- Federal: Ten U.S. Senators introduced S. 2100 to raise the Smoking Age to 21. Rep. Diana DeGette [D-Colorado] has introduced the companion House Bill, H.R.3556 that proposes the same legislation.
- CAO Pilon Robusto
- Saga Blend No 7 Perfecto
- Padron 1926 Serie No. 47 Natural (TAA Exclusive)
- Room 101 Uncle Lee
- Wilson Adams Mr. Wilson
Agile Cigar Reviews
- This month’s editorial is on “The Acquisitions: One Year Later“
Reminder, we launched an all-new version of the Stogiegeeks.com web-site. As such we have moved our lifestream feed back to be hosted on our own platform.
This past week (Video Forthcoming), on Episode 158 we welcomed Jack Torano of Duran Cigars. Our Debonaire Ideal discussed Cigar Names. Finally we did our Stogies of the Week (posting news week) which included:
- Indian Motorcycle Ultra Premium Toro Natural
- Saga Blend No 7 Perfecto
- Avo Classic Covers Volume 2
- Dissident Soap Box Lancero
- Esteban Carreras 211 Toro
- La Hacienda Superiores by Warped Cigars
- La Jugada Habano Robusto by MoyaRuiz Cigars
- Matilde Renacer Lancero
- My Father Oro De Nicaragua Toro
- Padron Damaso No. 17 Churchill
- RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon Anthropology
- RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal HN
- Senor Andre’s Chicharrones Bold (Maduro) by Viaje
Stogie Geeks News
This week we covered the latest collaboration between Drew Estate and Shady Records, the upcoming eighth release of the Tatuaje Hyde, and a look at some of the shipping issues the cigar industry if facing.
On this date October 3rd…
- October 3rd 2010: We reported on the Lite Up Charlotte event.
- October 3rd 2010: We assessed the San Lotano Connecticut
- October 3rd 2011: We assessed the Pinar Del Rio Liga Especial Reserva Superior
- October 3rd 2012: We did an Assessment Update on Tres Reynas.
- October 3rd 2013: We previewed the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Gearhead Gary Crankshaft.
- October 3rd 2013: We assessed the Reinado Grand Empire Reserve Toro.
- October 3rd 2013: We reported on the Tatuaje Fausto 10/50 becoming a Shop Exclusive to Up Down Cigar.
- October 3rd 2013: We reported on My Father Cigars’ Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial (Connecticut Shade) 10/50 to be a Shop Exclusive to Up Down Cigar.
- October 3rd 2013: We reported on the launch of Lou Rodriguez Cigars’ La Mano Negra.
- October 3rd 2013: We reported on the launch of the Lou Rod Snub Nose at Lite Up Charlotte.
- October 3rd 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Recluse Amadeus Toro.
- October 3rd 2014: We reported on the opening of a Davidoff Cigar Lounge in Ridgewood, New Jersey
- October 3rd 2014: We reported on the expansion of Regius Cigars’ Sales Force in the U.K.