The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 380 (5/9/20)
Feature of the Week: Cigar Industry Loses Appeal To Push Pre-Market Approval Deadline to August 2021
The premium cigar industry suffered another defeat in court when the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit issued a ruling on the appeals of the U.S. District Court of Maryland’s decisions in the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) case. The appeal had been focused on moving the deadline for Substantial Equivalence filings for non-grandfathered products to August 8, 2021. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- JRE Tobacco Company: Announced it will release the Aladino Habano
- Crux Cigars: The Crux Limitada 2020 releaes are heading to retailers
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: We reported on Rocky Patel TAA Exclusivo 2020 arriving at Retailers
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 85.
- Cuevas Reserva Natural Robusto by Casa Cuevas Cigars
- Mi Querida Triqui Traca No. 552 by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- La Flor Dominicana TAA 50th Segunda Edición Maduro
- Montecristo Nicaragua Series Toro by Altadis U.S.A.
Agile Cigar Review
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
- No Show This Past Week
Prime Time Jukebox
5/11 Prime Time Jukebox Episode 10: The John Prine Tribute Show with Skip Martin
5/12 Prime Time Special Edition 75: Three Year Anniversary Show with Alan Rubin
5/14 Prime Time Episode 138: Jeff Borysiewicz, Corona Cigar Co & FSG Tobacco Farm
On this date May 9
- May 9, 2012: We previewed the INCH by E.P. Carrillo.
- May 9, 2012: We recapped CAO’s Last Stick Standing (LSS) Project.
- May 9, 2012: We reposted a press release on Merlion by La Sirena.
- May 9, 2013: We previewed the 2013 BOTL Cigar by Drew Estate.
- May 9, 2013 We assessed the Asylum 13 6 x 80
- May 9, 2014: The White House Rejected the Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- May 9, 2014: We previewed the Aging Room Bin No. 1.
- May 9, 2014: We reported on Nicholas Melillo leaving Drew Estate and launching Melillo International
- May 9, 2014: We reported on CRA’s guidance for public comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- May 9, 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Nomad Connecticut Fuerte.
- May 9, 2015: We published Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 24 (5/9/15)
- May 9, 2015: We reported on T.L. Johnson Cigars parting ways with La Tradicion Cubana
- May 9, 2016: We assessed the Henry Clay Stalk Cut Toro by Altadis USA
- May 9, 2016: We published the Feature Story “Understanding the Impact of FDA Regulations on Post-Embargo Cuban Cigars”
- May 9, 2016: We reported on Warped Cigars Corto X46
- May 9, 2016: We reported on Foundation Cigar Company’s plans to release “The Upsetters”
- May 9, 2017: We assessed the Fratello Oro Robusto
- May 9, 2017: We reported on Dr. Scott Gottlieb being confirmed as FDA Commissioner
- May 9, 2018: We reported on the launch of Ventura Cigar Company’s Fathers, Friends and Fire Series
- May 9, 2018: We assessed the Hit & Run Corona Gorda
- May 9, 2018: We reported on the launch of the Aging Room Pura Cepa
- May 9, 2019: We published Prime Time Special Edition 53: Two Year Anniversary Show
- May 9, 2019: We reported on Joya de Nicaragua 4 x 32 Tins heading to retailers
- May 9, 2019: We reported on the RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon EMH Don Bosco
- May 9, 2019: We reported on Altadis U.S.A’s Trinidad Espiritu
- May 9, 2019: We reported on Debonaire House taking the Indian Motorcycle Shade fo the U.S. market