The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Cigar Media Association Established
This week was as busy a week in the cigar industry with a lot of news, however the one that we feel will have long term impacts to the industry is the establishment of the Cigar Media Association.
It’s been talked about for many years, but this week the cigar media has announced its very own media association. Cigar Coop / Stogie Geeks is proud to be a founding member of the Cigar Media Association (CMA) to serve the cigar community.
The press release was published this past Monday. C.M.A has already onboarded 8 media outlets since the announcement.
Editor’s Comment: One reason for the formation of the Cigar Media Association is the rise in the importance of cigar media. Cigar Media is not in 2009 or 2010 now, it is in 2014. Cigar Media has grown over the years with the increase of online media. With this increase, it was very important for us who are serious about the media angle to solidify our relationship with cigar industry as a whole. It is important for many of us to not just be referred to as “bloggers” or “podcasters”. This group wants to show it is serious about the media craft an not just “in it for the free sticks”. This will also help the industry recognize legitimate media and provide an outlet to disseminate information. The goal is to appeal to those who are serious about media whether its from a business or just a love of industry perspective (or both). It’s one thing to be passionate about cigars. It’s another thing to be passionate about being media. At Cigar Coop / Stogie Geeks we like to think we are passionate from both angles.
The Cigar Media Association is not a silver bullet to solve every problem with the media and the industry. It will be a collaborative and team effort. There are long term goals to the industry as a whole. This author been vocal about the need to improve the flow of press information and feel it needs to be one priority of the CMA’s goals. Contrary to some opinions, this is not about getting press releases to re-post them. This author thinks by getting accurate press information, it will have a ripple effect to improving the accuracy of reviews, news reports, cigar interviews, and feature stories. This author will have move opinions on this in an upcoming “Editor’s Corner”.
The end goal is to benefit our readers and supporters who have followed many brands over the years to get cigar information. There will be on-going debate on whether a CMA is necessary. Time will eventually validate if this is a good idea or not.
Finally, a special thanks to Fred Rewey of Nomad Cigar Company. He originally suggested the idea, and I rejected it. However circumstances changed and the more I thought about it, the more I realized he was right. He helped broker some introductions and turn executing the launch of CMA to reality.
News and Previews.
- Arandoza Cigars: On the 3/13/14 edition of Cigar Dojo Smoke Night Live, brand owner Robert Arandoza announced work is in progress on his company’s third line, currently being called Arandoza Red Label. This will introduce a San Andres Mexican wrapped blend into his line. Blend details still being finalized.
- Crowned Heads: We previewed the upcoming The Angel’s Anvil TAA Exclusive 2014
- Cubanican Cigars: The company will debut line Extensions to Soneros and Cubanacan at the 2014 D.C. Tweetup
- Debonaire Cigars: Showed off the new Debonaire First Degree
- Epicurean Cigars: The long awaited Gonzo Santeria is heading to retailers.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company announced the new 601 La Bomba Sake Bomb on Cigar Dojo. The company also announced the La Zona Connecticut and La Zona Habano will now have a 20 count box option.
- Global Premium Cigars: Lanceros are soon shipping for the 1502 Emerald, Ruby, and Black Gold Lines – Coronas to Follow.
- Kuuts LLC: Gabriel Alvarez, Operations Manager of Kuuts gave us a look at the Kuuts Nicaraguan Blend and Miro Capa Negra
- La Palina Cigars: Announced the La Palina Collection Goldie Laguito Especial will become the third Goldie.
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Company: We previewed the new Rosalila.
- Quesada Cigars: We got a full preview on the Quesada 40th Anniversary Cigar Line.
- Partagas: We updated our stories previewing the Partagas 1845 Extra Fuerte and Partagas 1845 Extra Oscuro.
- Tarazona Cigars: The company announced the Guerrilla 305 line.
- Tatuaje Cigars: We previewed the new Tatuaje Belle Encre Reserva.
- Alabama: The State House has shot down a proposed bill to ban smoking in businesses. In the 2/15/14 Cigar Industry Report we reported SB 168 introduced by State Senator Vivian Figures had passed. When it went to the House, it failed 4-7 in a House sub-committee.
- Delaware: Rehoboth Beach has partially banned smoking near the beach. Effective May 15 there will be no more than 20 designated smoking areas during the summer season. In the offseason there will be four designated smoking areas. We had mentioned a smoking ban was being considered in the 1/18/14 Cigar Industry Report.
- FDA: Two new co-sponsors signed on to HR 792: Tom McClintock [R-California] and Steve Pearce [R-New Mexico] have signed on. The count is now at total of 149 co-sponsors (150 total sponsors).
- Pennsylvania: State Secretary of the Department of Health Michael Wolf is pushing to ban smoking in apartment and condominium complexes
- Utah: HB358 a proposal that would have implemented a 50 cent tax cap was defeated with a 35-38 vote. Under the bill, it would have kept the 86 percent tax, but capped it at no more than 50 cents a cigar. Meanwhile, in a story from March 4, the Senate has killed a proposed bill to raise the age to buy tobacco products to 21.
Stogie Geeks – Episode 88
Affinity Robusto by Sindicato Cigar Group
Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan
Casino Gold H.R.S. Queen by Royal Gold Cigars
Illusione 88 Claro (Candela)
La Aurora Preferidos Diamond Chicho’s Choice
- March 15th 2011: Cigar Coop moved over to the Cigar-Coop.com domain.
- March 15th 2011: We featured a video reported by a television station on lady cigar smokers.
- March 15th 2012: We assessed the Davidoff Limited Edition 2011 White Edition
- March 15th 2012: We previewed the Rocky Patel’s Thunder by Nimish getting a 6 x 62 Frontmark
- March 15th 2013: We reported on the announcement of Emilio Cigars’ Draig Cayuquero.
- March 15th 2013: We assessed the Dunhill Aged Reserva Especial 2003.