The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Iconic Leaf Amadeus Announced
It was almost two years ago when we learned of Iconic Leaf Cigar Company. We were one of the first media sources to report on their initial release – the Recluse. Now two years later, Iconic Leaf Cigar Company is known to many cigar enthusiasts and the company continues to grow. This past week, we had the details around their third release – Recluse Amadeus. This is a new box-press Ecuadorian Connecticut Shade cigar.
News and Previews.
- 262 Cigars: The company has entered into an agreement to distribute their products in New Zealand.
- Caldwell Cigar Company: The company has announced the names of their three first releases: The King is Dead, Long Live the King, and Eastern Standard
- D’Crossier: The company announced its latest blend – the D’Crossier Golden Blend Aged 10 Years.
- Nicaraguan Earthquake: A 6.1 magnitude earthquake followed by aftershocks struck Nicaragua’s capital of Managua. While the impact could be felt in the cigar regions in the northern part of the country, no significant damage or losses have been reported.
- General Cigar Company: We took a a look at two line extensions being added to the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur.
- Padilla Cigar Company: We previewed the upcoming Padilla Cava line.
- Tatuaje Cigars: The Tatuaje Lancero Sampler appears to be heading to retailers soon. Pete Johnson broke news of this back in November on our Stogie Geeks show.
- Alaska: Senate Bill 209 passed out of the state’s Senate State Affairs Committee. This bill proposes a statewide smoking ban that would ban smoking in office buildings, sports arenas, taxicabs, bars, restaurants, and other public places. The bill now heads to the Health and Social Services Committee. A companion bill, HB 360 is also working its way through the Alaska House.
- FDA: One new co-sponsor has been added as David Jolly [R-Florida] has signed on. The count is now at total of 153 co-sponsors (154 total sponsors).
- Maine: The Cigar Association of America (CAA) is reporting a proposed tobacco tax hike in Maine that would have impacted premium cigars and pipes has been defeated.
- 1502 Emerald Lancero (Pre-Release Review)
- 262 Allegiance (Pre-Release Review)
- Foundry H20 – 2 (Part of Compounds, Elements and Musings)
- WCD 127 Tatuaje Limited Edition
Stogie Geeks Episode 91
Our smokes of the week included:
1502 Emerald Lancero
Avo 88 Limited Edition 2014
Davidoff Millenium Blend Petite Corona
Hechicera Corona Prensado
H. Upmann Magnum 46
Liga Privada Unico Serie Dirty Rat by Drew Estate
Pura Soul Perfecto
Room 101 Master Collection Two Roxxo
WCD 127 Tatuaje Limited Edition
- April 12th 2012: We posted some information on the still open White House Petition to give premium cigars an exemption from FDA regulation.
- April 12th 2012: Nat Sherman announced that their Nat Sherman Townhouse store became the U.S. Store with a fully certified tobacconist team.
- April 12th 2013: We assessed the CAO La Traviata Maduro Mochado.
- April 12th 2013: We re-printed a press release on the Midwest Smoke Out 2013