The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: The Return of El Rey de los Habanos
The line that started it all for Don Pepin Garcia in the United States, the El Rey de los Habanos will be making a return. This line was discontinued three years ago, but will now be sold and distributed exclusively by The Pipe and Pint in Greensboro, North Carolina. The cigar has been re-blended and will be sold in five sizes. We had the first in-depth details of this story.
Our 2014 IPCPR Trade Show coverage is now in wind down mode. We will still have some occasional product updates from announcements made at the trade show.
- Caldwell Cigar Company: We previewed Eastern Standard – The Silk Road – a line extension to the Caldwell Collection’s Eastern Standard line.
- Camacho Cigars: The Davidoff brand announced they have entered into a Canadian market distribution agreement with Distribution GVA.
- Cigar Media Association: Announced Jonathan David of Toasted Foot, Eric Guttormson of Cigar Dojo, and Aaron Loomis of Blind Man’s Puff have been elected to its Board of Directors.
- Drew Estate: The company announced the “Tienda Exclusiva by Willy Herrera” will be a new shop exclusive line with its forest release heading to Barrister Cigars.
- Ezra Zion Cigar Company: Announced they will be releasing a shop exclusive cigar to Lone State Cigar Company in Texas called the SP3.
- Joya de Nicaragua: Announced it has entered into a Canadian market distribution agreement with House of Horvath
- Maya Selva Cigars: Named Gabriel Alvarez U.S. Director of Sales for Maya Selva Cigars. Alvarez also announced he was leaving Kuuts LLC.
- Nat Sherman: Announced it will partner with the Knickerbocker Hotel in New York to open a rooftop cigar lounge.
- Sosa Cigars: Antillian Cigar Corp, the parent company of Sosa Cigars announced they will be handling U.S. distribution for Arandoza Cigars, The Cigar Cork, Dona Nieves, and Headlines Cigar Brands.
- Viaje: The company has announced its September releases including the Viaje Friends and Family Bel Air; a petite lancero release of the Viaje White Label Project called TB#7, and new Churchill sized Aficonado – a line extension to the Viaje Oro Reserva and Viaje Platino Reserva lines.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors were added to HR792. The total remains at 161 co-sponsors (162 total sponsors)
- Nebraska: The State Supreme Court ruled smoking exemptions for retail tobacco outlets are unconstitutional – meaning no more smoking in cigar bars.
- 601 La Bomba Warhead II by Espinosa Cigars
- Crowned Heads – The Angel’s Anvil TAA Exclusive 2014
- Sorullos by Serious Cigars
- Tatuaje Mummy (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series)
- Untamed by La Aurora (Pre-Release)
Stogie Geeks Episode 107
Our smokes of the week included:
601 La Bomba Warhead II by Espinosa Cigars
B.G. Meyer Slackers
Casa Fuente Churchill
Davidoff Gran Cru #2
Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema Fina
Davidoff Primeros Nicaragua
Ditka Signature Toro by Camacho
EP Carrillo Edicion Limitada 2013
Joel Sherman 75th Celebration by Nat Sherman
My Father Flor de las Antillas Lancero
Tatuaje Mummy (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series)
Untamed by La Aurora Robusto (Pre-Release)
Viaje Cache Five Fifty-Two Box-Press
- August 30th 2010: We took at look at General Cigar Company’s booth at the 2010 IPCPR Trade Show.
- August 30th 2011: We paid tribute to Edgar M Cullman Sr.
- August 30th 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the Reinado Grand Empire Reserve.
- August 30th 2012: We previewed the Casa Fernandez Aganorsa Leaf Maduro.
- August 30th 2012: We published a feature story on PDR Cigars at 2012 IPCPR.
- August 30th 2013: We reported on the Litto Gomez Small Batch No. 5 and what was to be the La Flor Dominicana Ligero L-Granu.
- August 30th 2013: We assessed the La Palina Collection Mr. Sam.