The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: General Cigar Company acquires Torano Family Cigar Brands
No doubt the big news this week is the announcement of the acquisition of the Torano Family Cigar brands by General Cigar Company. While it was a shock to many, we think this isn’t quite the shock people are saying. Our editorial discusses why this may be a sign of things to come. Finally, we covered a feature story on what could be next for the Torano brands.
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley Nica Puro Diamond Rough-Cut was announced – adding a limited edition diamond-shaped box-press to the line.
- Bodega Premium Cigars: The team from Bodega Premium Cigars were guests on the Over a Cigar Show and mentioned they are working on their next line called Reflexion. This will feature an Ecuadorian Connecticut and an Ecuadorian Oscuro offering. Plans are to introduce line extensions to the Reunion line including a 4 x 44 for both Apertivo and Digestivo lines. A lancero is also in the works as well.
- Casa Fernandez: The Casa Fernandez Agnaorsa Leaf Maduro is receiving a line extension – the Delire will add a toro frontmark to the box-pressed maduro line.
- Joya de Nicaragua: Announced that it has entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with Arnold Andre for distribution in Germany.
- My Father Cigars: The Flor de las Antillas Limitada Benelux is a 5 1/2 x 58 rounded version of the Flor de las Antillas blend that will be a limited production exclusive to the Benelux region of Europe.
- Paul Stulac Cigars: Cigar Jukebox is reporting that the Paul Stulac Red Screaming Sun will be made in a 6 x 38 lancero for Westside Humidor in Wichita, Kansas.
- Regius: The Regius Exclusivo U.S.A. is heading to a national (U.S.) launch. Company owner Akhil Kapacee also gave us details of a second Exclusivo U.S.A. release called the Regius Claro Especial Exclusivo U.S.A..
- Tatuaje: Havana Connections in Richmond, Virginia will receive another allotment of the limited CiGWAR – a cigar originally made for the GWAR-B-Q event held last month.
- FDA: Rob Woodhall [R-Georgia] has signed on as a co-sponsor to HR792. The total remains at 162 co-sponsors (163 total sponsors)
- Nebraska: The State Supreme Court is being asked to rehear the case on the State’s Smoking Ban. The ruling last month implemented smoking bans in bars, restaurants, and tobacco shops.
- New Jersey: Governor Chris Christie has vetoed the bill approved by the legislature that would have banned smoking in parks and limited it at beaches. In a statement, Christie said: “Too often, policy-makers at more centralized levels of government encroach into areas of public policy previously reserved for more localized governing bodies…I do not believe that the state should substitute its judgement for that of our local elected officials or upset the careful balancing of interests that informs the decision-making process at the local level.” The text of the bill can be found here (S1772/A1080)
- J. Grotto Silk Lancero by Ocean State Cigars
- Aging Room Bin No. 1 by Boutique Blends Cigars
- Joel Sherman 75th Celebration by Nat Sherman
- Tatuaje Wolf (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series)
Stogie Geeks Episode 108
Our smokes of the week included:
J. Grotto Silk Lancero by Ocean State Cigars
Aging Room Bin No. 1 B Minor by Boutique Blends
Caldwell Seleccion Junior Varsity Sevillana Magnum
Edgar Hoill Cigars Lancero
Elogio Habano Churchill
Elogio Habano Corona
Elogio Habano Lancero
Elogio Habano Robusto
Joel Sherman 75th Celebration by Nat Sherman
La Riqueza Robusto
Punch Double Corona
- September 13th 2010: We assessed the Joya de Nicaragua Serie “C”
- September 13th 2011: We assessed the Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 Cameroon – a cigar that finished as the Cigar Coop #15 Cigar of the Year for 2011.
- September 13th 2012: We assessed the Liga Privada No. 9 Pequeno
- September 13th 2013: We provided an Assessment Update on the La Flor Dominicana Colorado Oscuro.