The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: General Cigar Company acquires Leccia Tobacco Brands
For the second week in a row, General Cigar is our featured story as they announced they acquired brands owned by Leccia Tobacco. As a part of that acquisition, company founder Sam Leccia is joining the company as a Cigar and Blend Specialist. We broke down this acquisition and gave some perspectives on what this means going forward.
- Arango Cigar Company: The Illinois distributor has added the CAO Gold Clasicos to its line of exclusive vitolas. This will add four sizes based on the CAO Gold blend that will only be available to brick and mortar retailers. The company has also added a fifth frontmark to its Macanudo and Punch Clasicos lines called Chi-Town.
- Black Label Trading Company: The Texas based cigar maker announced its eighth blend – the Black Label Trading Company Deliverance.
- Espinosa Cigars: Announced the new Sensei’s Sensational Sarsaparilla – a cigar that is a collaboration done with the online cigar community Cigar Dojo.
- Inter-Tabac: The 2014 edition of the European-based tobacco industry trade show opened in Dortmund, Germany on September 10th.
- JM Tobacco: The company formally announced its JM Nicaraguan line – a new Cuban sandwich offering.
- Nomad Cigar Company: The company officially launched its Nomad Connecticut Fuerte Lancero – the sixth frontmark of the Connecticut Fuerte line.
- FDA: Dave Camp [R-Michigan], Ted Poe [R-Texas], and Aaron Schrock [R-Illinois] have signed on as co-sponsors to HR792. The total remains at 165 co-sponsors (166 total sponsors)
- North Carolina: Mecklenburg County which includes the city of Charlotte has postponed a vote on a proposal that would ban tobacco on grounds of county and municipal government buildings and a ban of all tobacco use at county parks, greenways and golf courses. Now word comes that the proposals are being rewritten to include an exemption for golf courses.
- El Rey de los Habanos by Don Pepin Garcia (2014 Edition for The Pipe and Pint) Toro
- Illusione ~eccj~ 20th
- Padron 1964 Anniversary Belicoso TAA Exclusive Maduro (2014)
- Regius of London Claro Especial Exclusivo U.S.A Pressed Perfecto
- Rocky Patel Prohibition San Andres (Pre-Release)
Stogie Geeks Episode 110
Crux Cigars Ninfamaniac
El Rey de los Habanos by Don Pepin Garcia (2014 Edition for The Pipe and Pint) Toro
Elogio LSV Robusto
Illusione ~eccj~ 20th
Insidious by Asylum Churchil
Oliva V Torpedo
Padron 1964 Anniversary Belicoso TAA Exclusive (2014) Maduro
Regius of London Claro Especial Exclusivo U.S.A. Pressed Perfecto
Sancho Panza Belicoso (Habanos)
Tatuaje Wolf (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series)
Vegas Robaina Famosos
- September 20th 2011: We assessed the Casa Miranda Chapter One – a cigar that finished as the Cigar Coop #6 Cigar of the Year for 2011.
- September 20th 2012: We previewed Crowned Heads’ Four Kicks Mule Kick Limited Edition 2012
- September 20th 2013: The resignation of former IPCPR CEO Bill Spann was announced.
- September 20th 2013: We provided an Assessment Update on the Lou Rod by Lou Rodriguez Cigars.