The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 9 (Edition 158 1/23/16)
Sam Leccia Departs General Cigar
In what was shocking news to the cigar industry, Sam Leccia announced he is leaving General Cigar Company and taking the brands of Leccia Tobacco back with him. Leccia hopes to announce a distributor for his brands soon.
News and Previews
- D’Crossier Cigars: The company has teamed up with Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle to open the D’Crossier Humidor at the location.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company has released the shop exclusive, Rocky Patel Ice to JR Cigar.
- Black Label Trading Company: The brand will produce the J.W. Marshall for Cigar Federation
- Boutiques United: Is the new name for the distribution name known brands distributed by Emilio Cigars.
- Cigar Media Association: Named Matilde Oscura as its 2015 Cigar of the Year and Warped Cigars its 2015 Brand of the Year.
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: The company has a limited edition candela for St. Patrick’s Day called Pickle Juice.
- Padron Cigars: To commemorate company patriarch Jose O Padron’s 90th birthday, the company will release a special 90th birthday cigar. The cigar will be available exclusively at Smoke Inn’s January 29th event.
- Room 101 Cigars: We took a look at the Room 101 Fudo Myoo – a shop exclusive for JR Cigar.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 20.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 153.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 42.
- California: Environmentalist Tom Steyer and Sen. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento have launched a petition to put a tobacco tax increase on the November ballot.
- Iowa: State Senator Sen. Herman Quirmbach has introduced a bill that would raise the State’s Smoking Age to 21.
- New Jersey: Chris Christie did not sign a bill that would have raised the State’s Smoking age to 21.
- Tennessee: State Senator Jim Tracy is introducing legislation that proposes raising the State Smoking Age to 21.
- Utah: Rep. Kraig Powell and State Senator. Brian Shiozawa have introduced House Bill 157 that proposes raising the State’s Smoking Age to 21.
- MBombay Corojo Oscuro Perfecto
- Eiroa The First 20 Years 50 x 5
- Quesada Keg 2016 Toro Gordo
- Padron 1926 Serie No. 47 Maduro (TAA Exclusive)
- Warped Corto X50
Agile Cigar Reviews
For Episode 170 we welcomed James Brown of Fabrica Oveja Negra. Our Debonaire Ideal segment covered Cigar Destinations, and we covered our Smokes of the Week which included:
- Rocky Patel Special Reserve Sun Grown Maduro Robusto
- Rocky Patel Twentieth Anniversary Lancero
- Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Personal Reserve Robusto
- Black Works Studio Rorschach
- Davidoff Nicaragua Belicoso
- Dikta Game Time
- Drew Estate Herrera Esteli Box Pressed Toro Corona Cigar Company Exclusivamente
- E.P. Carrillo INCH Maduro No. 64
- J Grotto Anniversary L458 by Ocean State Cigars
- La Flor Dominicana La Nox
- San Cristobal Ovation by Ashton
- Sobremesa Cervantes Fino by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- Tatuaje Hyde ( Tatuaje Monster 2015 #8)
Stogie Geeks News
This week we covered the Sam Leccia Departure from General, House of Emilio rebranding to Boutiques United, and the release of the Ditka Cigar for “The Big Game”.
Stogie Geeks App
We now have our first Stogie Geeks App for the Android. Visit the Google Play store for the Video version or the Audio Version.
On this date January 23rd…
- January 23rd 2011: We did a “pre review” of the Fonseca Especial.
- January 23rd 2012: We assessed the Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 3
- January 23rd 2013: We reported on the rename of the Alec Bradley Black Market Dirty Hooligan to Alec Bradley Filthy Hooligan
- January 23rd 2013: We assessed the Asylum 13
- January 23rd 2014: We reported on the return of the VegaFina Sumum Edicion Especial 2010.
- January 23rd 2014: We assessed the Foundry H20 – H (Part of Compounds, Elements and Musings)
- January 23rd 2014: We reported on the Aging Room Quattro F55 Adding ConcertoS Line Extension.
- January 23rd 2015: We did an Assessment Update on the Room 101 Namakubi Ecuador Ranfla
- January 23rd 2015: We did an Assessment Update on the Avo Limited Edition 2012 La Trompeta (Part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler)