The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 15 (Edition 164 3/5/16)
Feature of the Week: Davidoff Announces Three New Releases
After announcing plans for the Davidoff Chef’s Edition, three more projects were announced: Davidoff Golf Scorecard Editio 2016, plans for the Davidoff Art Edition 2016, and Blend Cigar Bar’s shop exclusive, the Davidoff Exclusive Indy 500 Edition. All of these releases have a lifestyle theme (i.e. food, golf, art, and sports).
News and Previews
- Camacho: Three new figurado sizes are being added to the Camacho American Barrel Aged line. For the time being, these new sizes will only be available in three packs.
- Drew Estate: The company announced details around the Herrera Esteli TAA Exclusive.
- Foundry Tobacco Company: The subsidiary from General has hired Cigar Broker C.H.I.M.P. to handle its Southeast sales.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company will release the La Flor Dominicana TAA 48 as its 2016 TAA release. Once again the cigar size will be decided via a vote and there also will be a special event size cigar.
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: The company published the 50 retailers that will receive the Pickle Juice cigar.
- Nat Sherman: Three new sizes will be added to the TAA Exclusive Nat Sherman Panamericana line. The company also unveiled new secondary bands to its Timeless Collection line.
- Padron: The company is planning a 4 x 54 line extension to its 1964 Anniversary line.
- Vivalo Cigars: Patrick Vivalo, the namesake of the company has departed for La Palina Cigars. The company reaffirmed it is still in business.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week three new co-sponsors, Rick Allen [R-Georgia], Scott Rigell [R-Virginia], and Rodney Davis [R-Illinois] signed on. The total number of sponsors remains is now 162.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, one new co-sponsor Steve Womack [R-Arkansas] signed on The total number of sponsors is now 52.
- California: The city of San Francisco has raised the age to purchase tobacco products to 21. Meanwhile a bill to raise the State’s Smoking Age to 21 passed in the State Assembly. It now heads back to the Senate.
- Connecticut: Senator Mae Flexer has introduced a bill to raise the minimum smoking age to 21.
- Utah: The bill to raise the State’s smoking age to 21 has been defeated.
- West Virginia: The bill to raise the State’s tobacco taxes died in a House Subcommittee.
Agile Cigar Reviews
This month’s topic discussed the La Palina Dream Team.
For Episode 177 we welcomed Jarrid Trudeau of Kristoff Cigars. Our Debonaire Ideal segment was on Vintage Cigars and we had our Smokes of the Week which included:
- CAO Sopranos “Boss”
- D’Crossier L’Forte Robusto
- 1876 Reserve Churchill
- Balmoral Royal Selection Anejo 18 Rothschild Masivo
- Cattle Baron Stockyard’s (Robusto)
- Nat Sherman Timeless Hermoso (Dominican)
- Pura Soul Maduro 50 x 5
- Tatuaje TAA 2011
- Tierra Volcan Fino
- Vivalo Serie Exclusivo Robusto
We published Episode 176 – which included:
On this date March 5, 2011…
- March 5th 2011: We assessed the Elogio LSV
- March 5th 2012: We assessed the My Father Atlantic Cigar Company 15th Anniversary.
- March 5th 2013: We reposted a press release where CAO Cigars sponsored Kid Rock’s Chillin’ The Most Cruise
- March 5th 2013: We assessed the Lou Rodriguez MF.
- March 5th 2014: We reported on G.A.R. Deli Custom Blends being distributed by Cigar.Com
- March 5th 2014: We assessed the Debonaire Toro
- March 5th 2015: We reported on the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2015
- March 5th 2015: We reported on Rodrigo Cigars making the LMC Aniversario as a shop exclusive to La Marca Cigars
- March 5th 2015: We reported on the Quesada Seleccion Espana Beli-Lance and Fabulosos becoming Shop Exclusives to Casa de Montecristo in Illinois
- March 5th 2015: We reported on theRomeo by Romeo y Julieta Aging Room Small Batch F25. – the collaboration between Boutique Blends and Altadis USA.
- March 5th 2015: We reported on the Casa Magna Colorado Gran Unico.