The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 25 (Edition 278 5/12/18
Feature of the Week: Quesada Cigars Restructuring
The changes continue at Quesada Cigars. On Friday, the team announced a major overhaul to its executive team. We have the details here.
News and Previews
- Boutique Blends: The Aging Room Pura Cepa is heading for widespread distribution.
- CAO: The brand will release the CAO Estelí as a part of the 2018 TAA Exclusive Series
- D’Crossier: The company has announced the Flor de D’Crossier Seleccion Suprema No. 560 and Selection 512 are now heading to retailers.
- Padrón: The Padrón Black No. 89 will be released as a part of the 2018 TAA Exclusive Series.
- Ventura Cigar Company: The company announced the Father-Daughter Blend – an event only cigar that will be available as a part of the company’s upcoming at Fathers, Friends and Fire event series.
- Warped Cigars: The company will release Moon Garden at the 2018 IPCPR Trade Show.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week Senator Joni Ernst [R-Iowa] signed on as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- New Jersey: The state is considering once again banning smoking on public beaches.
- Massachusetts: The State House approved a bill that would raise the smoking age to 21. The bill now heads to the Senate.
- Pennsylvania: Philadelphia City Councilman Curtis Jones has introduced a bill that would restrict the sale of flavored tobacco products.
- Gran Habano La Conquista Robusto
- 1502 Serious Cigars Edition
- Davidoff – The Master Selection 2008
- Hit & Run Corona Gorda
- Macanudo Inspirado Red Robusto
- Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Lancero
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
On Episode 52, we welcomed Juan Lopez of Gurkha Cigars as our special guest. We also discussed cigar lighters on our Debonaire Ideal. Finally, we discussed the latest controversy around cigar box warning labels.
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 53 (5/17/18): The Drew Estate Barn Smoker Pre Game Show w/Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Orlando, Florida
5/24/18: No Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #30 (5/15/18): Casey Haugen, Crux Cigar Company
Special Edition #31 (5/21/18): One Year Anniversary with Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr.
Special Edition #32 (5/22/18): Indianapolis 500 Preview
On this date May 12th
- May 12th, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Solaris by Arturo Fuente
- May 12th, 2013: We assessed the Frank Herrera Biography.
- May 12th, 2014: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana 2014 TAA Exclusive 707.
- May 12th, 2014: We reported on Warped Cigars shipping the El Oso.
- May 12th, 2015: We reported on Lost & Found Racks on Racks becoming a shop exclusive for Cigar Federation.
- May 12th, 2015: We assessed the Guayacan Sabor de Esteli Maduro Gordo.
- May 12th, 2016: We assessed the Davidoff Nicaragua Box Pressed Toro.
- May 12th, 2016: We reported on Rafael Nodal of Boutique Blends responding to the FDA Regulations.
- May 12th, 2016: We reported on a Davidoff Lounge heading to the Phoenix area.
- May 12th, 2016: We reported on the Foundry Tobacco Zodipunk.
- May 12th, 2016: We reported on Oklahoma Congressman Tom Cole responding to the FDA Regulations on Premium Cigars
- May 12th, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 5: The Matt Booth Interview 2017.
- May 12th, 2017: We reported on the Padrón 1964 Anniversary Soberano and Presidente.
- May 12th, 2017: We reported on the Gran Habano Releases S.T.K. Black Dahlia by George Rico.
- May 12th, 2017: We reported on the AVO Syncro South America Ritmo.
- May 12th, 2017: We reported on Tabacalera USA the naming Steve Lochan as General Manager of Casa de Montecristo