The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 321 (3/16/19)
Feature of the Week: FDA News
- The agency officially announced its intent to accelerate enforcement of Deeming Regulations on Flavored Cigars
- Dr. Ned Sharpless has been named Acting FDA Commissioner
Feature of the Week: Simon Chase Passes Away
Simon Chase, known as one of the world’s most foremost experts in Cuban Cigars, and his tenure at Hunters & Frankau has passed away.
News and Previews
- Davidoff: The company named Dylan Austin, President of Davidoff Americas.
- Drew Estate: The company announced there will two ACID cigars making a debut at the 2019 TAA Convention – the ACID Croqueta Tubo and the ACID Plush. The company also announced the return of the Herrera Estelí (Habano) Edición Limitada Lancero
- JC Newman Cigar Company: The company announced its installment to the 2019 TAA Exclusive Series, the Brick House Ciento Por Ciento
- Villiger: The company has announced the availability of La Meridiana to the U.S. Market
- Crowned Heads: The company will release the Sanctuary awn an exclusive to Smokers Abbey in Nashville, TNN
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: The company will produce the Protocol Night Stick as the next release for Cigar Dojo.
- Henry Clay: Altadis U.S.A. announced the Henry Clay War Hawk
- Kristoff Cigars: The company announced the Lil Pistoff Kristoff
- La Palina Cigars: The company announced the La Palina Silver Label Toro as this year’s installment of the 2019 TAA Exclusive Series. Last year’s installment, the La Palina Blue Label Toro has moved to regular production and has added two vitolas.
- My Father Cigars: The company will release the Don Pepin Garcia Original TAA Exclusive Limited Edition 2019 as a TAA Exclusive.
- Nat Sherman: The brand announced the Timeless Limited Edition TAA Exclusive as a part of the 2019 TAA Exclusive Series.
- Punch: The brand annnounced the Punch Egg Roll
- Tatuaje: The company will release the Tatuaje TAA 51st as a part of the 2019 TAA Exclusive Series.
- Ventura Cigar Company: The company will release the PSyKo Seven Nicaragua by Indiana Ortez
- Warped Cigars: The company announced the return of the Don Reynaldo Coronas de Luxe.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Sen Lindsay Graham [R-SC] was added as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now at 12.
- Arkansas: A bill has been proposed that would allow private business the option on whether they want to permit smoking.
- Illinois: Both houses have voted of a bill to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21. The bill now rest with Governor JB Pritzker
- Utah: Both houses have voted of a bill to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21. The bill now rest with Governor Gary Herbert.
- Black Works Studio Killer Bee Connecticut (Petite Corona)
- Kristoff Vengeance Toro
- MoyaRuiz Hand Gripper
Agile Cigar Reviews
- This week we published the feature story “Observations from The Great Smoke 2019“
- This month’s editorial was “Lessons Learned Part 2.“
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 88 we welcomed Michael Giannini of Ventura Cigar Company as our special guest We discussed music playlists in our Debonaire Ideal segment. In our Deliberation Segment, we discussed more about the upcoming TAA show.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week
Episode 89 (3/28/19): Robert Holt, Southern Draw Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #50 (3/19/19): Nicholas Melillo, Foundation Cigar Company
On this date March 16th…
- Mar 16, 2011: We reviewed the Illusione MJ12.
- Mar 16, 2012: We previewed the La Palina Goldie. This was a cigar that would go on to be the Cigar Coop 2012 Cigar of the Year.
- Mar 16, 2012: We reviewed the Viaje Skull and Bones FOAB.
- Mar 16, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 9 (3/16/13)
- Mar 16, 2014: We assessed the AKA Respect 2013
- Mar 16, 2015: We reported on the Davidoff Golf Limited Masters Edition 2015
- Mar 16, 2015: We assessed the Alec Bradley Coyol Toro
- Mar 16, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review of the E.P. Carrillo 5 Year Anniversary
- Mar 16, 2017: We reported on the H. Upmann Connoisseur B becoming an exclusive to La Casa Del Habanos and Habanos Specialists
- Mar 16, 2018: We reported on the GTO Pain Killer MoFo
- Mar 16, 2018: We assessed the Rocky Patel Martinique (TAA Exclusive)
- Mar 16, 2018: We reported on the FDA plans for two ANPRMs for Regulation of Premium Cigars and Flavored Tobacco
- Mar 16 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 46: Steven Bailey, Cornelius & Anthony