The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 351 (10/19/19)
Feature of the Week: Judge Rules Against Cigar Industry in Delaying Substantial Equivalence Deadline
The cigar industry suffered another defeat in court when Judge Amit P Mehta of the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia ruled against Motion for Partial Summary Judgment filed by the cigar industry trade associations (Cigar Association of America, Cigar Rights of America, and the International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailers Association) to delay the implementation of substantial equivalence which is scheduled to be enforced on May 12, 2020. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley Fine & Rare HOF / 506 has been announced.
- Davidoff: The Davidoff Year of the Rat Limited Edition 2020 has been announced.
- Drew Estate: The Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve Barrel Fermented is going national and a new Flying Pig size will be exclusive to Pappy & Co.
- JSK Cigars: The company is releasing the Zlatno Sonce Box Pressed Limited Edition as a shop exclusive.
- Room101 Cigars: The company has shifted its distribution to La Palina Cigars.
- Royal Agio Cigars: The company has shipped its Balmoral Añejo XO Oscuro Lancero FT Edición Limitada.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 79.
- California: Governor Gavin Newson has signed a bill into law banning smoking on State Beaches and State Parks.
- Eastern Standard Sungrown Toro Extra by Caldwell Cigar Company
- Crowned Heads Las Calaveras Edición Limitada 2019 LC50
- HVC Edición Especial 2018 Toro
- La Aurora 1985 Maduro Robusto
- Protocol Jane Doe Series by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
Prime Time Show
For Episode 114 we welcomed Casey Haugen of Crux Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Episode 115 (10/24/19): Jonathan Carney, La Flor Dominicana
Episode 115 (10/31/19): No Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition TBA (11/12/19): Baseball Show
On this date October 19th
- Oct 19, 2011: We assessed the Padron Family Reserve 85th Maduro
- Oct 19, 2012: We assessed a pre-release version of the 262 Revere. This was a cigar the went on to finish as our #14 Cigar for 2012.
- Oct 19, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 40 (10/19/13)
- Oct 19, 2013: We reported on the shipping of the E.P. Carrillo Edición Limitada 2013.
- Oct 19, 2014: We assessed the Blessed Leaf Kairos
- Oct 19, 2015: We assessed Avo Classic Covers Volume 2.
- Oct 19, 2016: We reported on Ciguardian implementing effective date for products
- Oct 19, 2016: We assessed the Avo Syncro Nicaragua Fogata Short Torpedo
- Oct 19, 2017: We assessed the Cigar Review: Tatuaje Reserva K222
- Oct 19, 2017: We published an Agile Cigar Review on the Crux Guild Corona
- Oct 19, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 71: Jose Blanco, E.P. Carrillo