The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Welcome Debonaire Cigars to Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks
We would like to welcome Debonaire Cigars as a sponsor of Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. Debonaire Ultra Premium Cigars was developed by Philip S. Zanghi III, founder of Indian Tabac Cigar Company and Daniel Sinclair, founder of Durfort Holdings. One important characteristic that is absolutely paramount is that when we partner with any of sponsor, we have to believe very strong in the product and services offered. With Debonaire Cigars, this became a very easy fit. Debonaire is one of the rising boutiques around. We look forward to sharing more of what they have to offer in 2014.
Zanghi made a surprise appearance on Episode 79 of Stogie Geeks and made a couple of announcements we have in the news section below.
2013 Year in Review
This week we completed our full 2013 Year in Review. We have everything listed here for completeness:
- 2013 Cigar of the Year Countdown to date here.
- Analysis of the 2013 Cigar of the Year Countdown
- Top 12 Cigar Stories/Themes
- Best Aged Cigars for 2013
- Best Line Extensions for 2013
- Top Ranked Cigar Companies for 2013
- The Stogie Geeks Cigar of the Year Selections
Feature of the Week: General Cigar Reduces Facings
This week, retailers were informed of some 260+ discontinued items in the General Cigar Portfolio. The cuts seemed to be across the many brands and lines that General has. Last month we reported that Gurkha Cigar Group was planning to discontinue some items. With many new releases in store in 2014, it is no surprise actions like this are being taken. We can probably expect to see more facing cuts by other companies throughout the year as space in the retailer humidor gets more competitive.
Meanwhile as the Cigar Industry returned from Christmas/New Year’s break, a bunch of news has surfaced:
News and Previews.
- Chinnock Cellars: Brian Chinnock announced on Cigar Chat he is working on a fourth line to his portfolio. No specific details were announced at this time.
- Cigar Oasis: Announced four next generation Cigar Humidification devices.
- Debonaire Cigars: Announced exclusively on Episode 79 of Stogie Geeks that a Debonaire Maduro is in the works and a new line extension called 1st Degree is coming to the core line.
- General Cigar Company: We previewed the new Partagas Benji Homage 62.
- Legacy Brands: Victor Vitale was on Episode 79 of Stogie Geeks and announced a Cedro 6 x 50 Toro Line Extension to Tortuga 215 Reserva.
- Nomad Cigar Company: The company has begun shipping two new line extensions to the Nomad S-307 line.
- Padilla Cigar Company: The company announced the Padilla 1932 Signature will be re-released this year. We also previewed a new sampler pack and plans for corona-sized line extensions to the Reserva line.
- Sindicato Cigar Group: The company’s fourth release, the self-titled Sindicato Cigar will be made at Eduardo Fernandez’s Aganorsa factory in Nicaragua and blended by Arsenio Ramos. This information was provided in a press release for the company’s “Hex Me” promotion.
- Tatuaje: Company founder Pete Johnson announced a retail exclusive Cabaiguan Lonsdale will be released to Leesburg Cigar and Pipe this summer.
- Villiger North America: The company announced this week it will be adding three new lines in 2014 with a contemporary packaging theme: Trill, Cabarete Maduro, and Connecticut Kreme
- Indiana: The Indiana Chamber of Commerce is supporting legislation (House Bill 1029) to repeal the “Smoker’s Bill of Rights,” allowing employers to discriminate against those who partake of perfectly legal tobacco products. CRA will be issuing a response to this.
- Kentucky: The Kentucky Chamber of Commerce is also supporting statewide smoking ban legislation. CRA will also be issuing a response to this.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors signed on to HR792. The count remains at a total of 136 co-sponsors (137 total sponsors).
- Maryland: State Senator Jennie Forehand is proposing legislation to raise the legal age to buy or smoke tobacco products to 21.
- January 11th 2011: We assessed Macanudo Vintage 1997 Maduro
- Jaunary 11th 2012: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2010 No. 4.
- January 11th 2013: We posted a story on the Quesada Blender’s Sampler.
- January 11th 2013: We provided an assessment update on the E.P. Carrillo Edicion Limitada 2011 – Dark Rituals