The month of October was probably one of the more exciting months in the cigar industry. This month marked not only the heart of the Fall release cycle for cigars, but some major releases. Overall, this was a great month to be a cigar enthusiast. Let’s take a look at some of the releases that were done during the month as well as some other happenings.
These were what I consider the highlights for cigars that made its way to the retailer shelves in the month of October.
- Padron Family Reserve 85th – After a delay, Padron has shipped.
- Drew Estate Undercrown – A new line launched in the Drew Estate Family.
- Drew Estate Liga Privada L40 Lancero – While the official ship date has been named yet, Casa de Montecristo in Illinois has received an early limited shipment. Nat Sherman in New York will also receive a limited shipment in November.
- Tatuaje Wolfman – Fourth entry in the Tatuaje Monster Series – the monster madness has begun.
- Rocky Patel Fifty – I haven’t sampled this yet, but was able to preview it back in August. Word is this might be Rocky’s best cigar.
- Xen by Nish Patel – The box-press Connecticut.
- Viaje Cigars – the Fifty/Fifty and Skull and Bones Mystery 2011 shipped this month. Here is a link to the Mystery Box-press.
- E.P. Carrillo Limitada 2011 Dark Rituals – the long-awaited follow up to the Limitada 2010 and fifth line launched by EPC.
- Oliveros Sun-Grown – A true hidden gem unveiled at the 2011 IPCPR
- Torano Vault – After a delay, the Vault has begun to ship. My assessment is pending, but the link contains the details I reported on a few months ago.
El Tiante Cigars also re-launched their line. This was carried on national radio on the Dino Costa Radio show on a simulcast from Butthead’s Tobacco Emporium in Danbury, Connecticut.
At the time of this writing, HR 1639 has 98 co-sponsors. Even Charlie Rangel is co-sponsoring this one!
The CRA hired a legislative director. Mike Copperman has been named to this position.
Sherwin Seltzer, who spent over 50 years in the cigar business has retired as Vice President of Trade Development at General Cigars effective the end of October. A good piece in Cigar Aficionado was done. Cigar Dave also did a great interview and there were some great insights provided (I’ll update the link here when the podcast is posted)
Cigar Coop News
Nothing exciting to report this month here.