The Cigar Week Wrap is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will throw in a few bonus items from time to time as well. Our intent is to publish once a week on Saturday mornings. Note: We have decided to label our posts as “Volume 2” to be consistent with the monthly “Editor’s Corner”.
News and Previews
- Altadis USA: The Montecristo Chicago Edition, the fourth regional blend in the Montecristo series is launching in April.
- Boutique Blends Cigars: The company will launch the Aging Room Cigars Wild Pack. This will be a sampler pack of five unique blends. Consumers who purchase the Wild Pack will be able to vote for their favorite blend with the winning blend to be launched at the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show. Also being launched is also mentioned a new blend under the Swag Cigars umbrella called Swag S.
- Davidoff: According to the Cigar Authority, Davidoff is supposedly working on a Nicaraguan-based cigar. There has been no confirmation from Davidoff on this. Meanwhile, Davidoff CEO Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard continues to drop hints on twitter of new releases from Davidoff. Hoejsgaard mentioned recently that there are new additions coming to Davidoff’s Zino Platinum line.
- Drew Estate: The Liga Privada Unico Serie UF-13 Dark has begun arriving at select retailers.
- General Cigar Company: The United States Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled in favor of General Cigar Company as the rightful owner of the U.S. Trademark “Cohiba”. Cubatabaco has been contesting the rights to the name for quite some time. The company also announced the winners of the Macanudo Ultimate Round contest.
- Joya de Nicaragua: Senior Vice President Jose Blanco confirmed (via Twitter) has announced a lancero is being added to the Cyb line. According to a report by Halfwheel the CyB Lancero will be made available to the TAA. The CyB blend was our #9 Cigar for 2012.
- Miami Cigar and Company: It appears a new event only cigar called the Nestor Miranda Blue Label will be given out at events. A photo of this cigar was put on Facebook by Butthead’s Tobacco.
- Padilla Cigars: Details have emerged on the new Padilla Connecticut. We also covered some details of the upcoming Padilla Vintage Reserve.
- S.A.G. Imports: The Fonseca Cubano Exclusivo has begun to arrive at retailers.
- Sindicato Cigars: President/CEO Jim Colucci said on the 3/23/13 Cigar Dave show that the company is planning on launching three cigar blends at the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show and are in the process of finalizing which blends will be released.
- Tatuaje Cigars: Provided an update on the plans for the Tatuaje 10 Year Anniversary Cigars. The company also announced a special redux version of the Pork Tenderloin is being planned for the 2013 Saints and Sinners Club.
- Arkansas: Governor Mike Beene signed H.B. 1531 into law. This caps the OTP (Other Tobacco Products – which includes cigars) excise tax at 50 cents per cigar. The legislation passed the state Senate 34-0 as well as the state House 87-1. Arkansas becomes the ninth state with an OTP excise tax cap on cigars.
- California: The Santa Monica City Council has opposed a bill that would have made it illegal to smoke indoors on a muli-unit property.
- FDA: This week an additional two co-sponsors have signed on to HR 792 – making for a total 41 co-sponsors.
On this date March 30th..
- March 30th 2012: We paid tribute to Manny Ferrero of Ashton Cigars, who had passed away earlier that week.