The Cigar Week Wrap is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will throw in a few bonus items from time to time as well. Our intent is to publish once a week on Saturday mornings. Note: We have decided to label our posts as “Volume 2” to be consistent with the monthly “Editor’s Corner”.
This upcoming week we have our 3rd Annual Cigar Coop Cigar Draft. We will be posting the draft results on Friday April 26, 2013. This will give you a look into the twenty cigars to look forward to being released for the remainder of 2013.
News and Previews
- Alec Bradley: Will be offering a special figuardo to members of the TAA in the Alec Bradley Prensado blend.
- Altadis USA: We provided a preview of the new frontmark quietly released in the Romeo line – the Romeo Bocados.
- Asylum Cigars: A 6 x 80 vitola to the core Asylum 13 line has shipped to retailers. We reported a little over a week ago on the Asylum 13 Corojo also having a 6 x 80.
- Camacho Cigars: Launched the limited edition Mike Ditka Throwback cigar at Davidoff in New York City this past April 11th.
- Drew Estate: Company chairman Jonathan Drew posted a picture of a display box for the new MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured “Just a Friend” size.
- La Palina: An agreement was announced where Mythical Cigars Europe will handle distribution of La Palina products in Europe.
- Leccia Tobacco: On an interview on the Half Ashed podcast, Sam Leccia indicated that the Leccia Tobacco “Black” will be “a couple of weeks” delayed due to the boxes not being ready. Leccia will be at the 2013 Cigar Fest and will have Black cigars available, but they will be in trays. In the interview, Leccia indicated he might be getting into the business of selling “roll your own cigar” supplies (i.e. tobacco molds, chaveta knives, etc). He also indicated that at his events, kits would be available that would allow consumers to grow their own tobacco plants.
- Nat Sherman: We re-printed a press release on the the Nat Sherman Terraces Cut and Cork Package.
- Operation Smokescreen: Turned out to be the ultimate April Fools’ Hoax. There will be no movie featuring the celebrities of the cigar industry. It was a marketing campaign for an upcoming cigar publication.
- Ortega Premium Cigars: Company President Eddie Ortega has posted previews of some of the August, Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 releases. He posted a picture on Instagram of a prototype of the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Fast Eddie. We noted a few weeks ago on the 3/23/13 Cigar Week Wrap that Fast Eddie was a release named after Ortega himself and would be an August Wild Bunch release. The photo indicated that this release will be a lancero. He also posted a picture of the second August release, Wild Bill – and indicated this will be a 6 x 46 (Corona Gorda).
- Padron: A report by the Cigar Authority indicates that the company will not be launching anything new at the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show, but will focus its efforts around 2014 – the company’s 50th anniversary.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: According to a report by Cigar Craig, there was some incorrect information initially reported on the line extensions to the Bernie Parent BSB No. 1. The “Between the Pipes” vitola will be rounded – and not a box-press. It will also be a 6 x 60. The Between the Pipes vitola is also being deferred to a later release. Cigar Craig also said a Robusto called Crossbar will be released instead – measuring 5 1/2 x 56 in a rounded format will be released with the HOF ’84 torpedo. Meanwhile the Rocky Patel II-XXVI cigar has begun to appear at retailers.
- Viaje: As first reported by Cigar Aficionado, Viaje will be releasing the Viaje Zombie Super Shot – a cigar based on the highly limited Viaje Zombie blend in the 10 gauge size.
- California: A bill proposed by Assemblyman Marc Levine that would have made one of the most restrictive indoor smoking bans as shot down by the Assembly Housing and Community Development Committee 5-2. Under the proposed Assembly Bill 746, a mandatory state-wide smoking ban in units that share walls, ceilings, floors, and ventilation systems.
- FDA: In a move similar to what happened when HR 792 replaces HR 1461, Senate Bill 772 (S.772) has replaced S. 1461. The reasoning for this change is the same as why the House legislation bill was changed – namely since there is a new session of Congress, a new bill was needed. Meanwhile, since last week’s report, we learned an additional 6 co-sponsors have signed on to HR 792 – making for a total 61 co-sponsors.
- South Carolina: A bill by State Senator Kevin Bryant’s that would have given employers the right to refuse to hire and even to fire smokers was squashed.
- Alec Bradley Nica Puro
- Avo Limited Edition 2013 – the Dominant 13th
- E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2013
- El Primer Mundo Epifania
- Nestor Miranda 70th LE Nicaragua
- Sosa Underground
On this date April 20th..
- April 20th 2012: We reviewed the Montecristo New York Connoisseur Edition. This was a cigar that finished as our #2 Cigar for 2012.