The Cigar Week Wrap is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will throw in a few bonus items from time to time as well. Our intent is to publish once a week on Saturday mornings. Note: We have decided to label our posts as “Volume 2” to be consistent with the monthly “Editor’s Corner”.
News and Previews
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: The company threw a teaser on Facebook on what appears to be another new blend called Mayimbe. There were no other details other than pictures of the banding. A couple of weeks ago, the company announced on their Facebook page a new limited edition cigar called Raca Taca was in the works.
- Boutique Blends: Company President Rafael Nodal showed off a picture of a new cigar called the Aging Room Maduro on his Facebook page.
- Espinosa Cigars: A limited production Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper of the 601 La Bomba will be coming at the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Gurkha Cigar Group: Announced the latest edition its East India Trading Company brand, the East India Trading Company Rogue. This cigar had been appearing at Gurkha events in a pre-release form – we noted this back in March.
- Iconic Leaf Cigars: Posted a picture of the soon to be released Recluse Draconian. We had a pre-review of this cigar a few months ago.
- Miami Cigar and Company: Barry Stein, the Assistant Director of Marketing of Miami Cigar and Company indicated on the 5/18/13 edition of Kiss My Ash Radio that there would be a “Chapter Two” at the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show. This most likely is a hint that a Casa Miranda Chapter Two could be in the works – a follow-up to Casa Miranda Chapter One. Stein also indicated there would be a line extension to the Merlion by La Sirena.
- My Father Cigars: A special version of the Flor de Las Antillas in a rounded Short Churchill format will be a part of Holt’s Cigar Company’s Pepin Mania III event.
- Nat Sherman: The long rumored Nat Sherman 1930 Collection was announced. A press release issued by the company followed. Also, the line extensions to the Timeless Collection Nicaragua are now available – we noted this story back in March.
- Ortega Cigars: On the 5/18/13 edition of Kiss My Ash Radio, Eddie Ortega indicated the return of the re-launch of the Cubao will happen before the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Perdomo: We recapped two releases currently in the works by Perdomo – the Perdomo Champagne Sun Grown and a sixth vitola in the 20th Anniversary line.
- PDR Cigars: Nice Tight Ash noted an instagram photo indicating the company is launching a new cigar at the 2013 IPCPR called the A. Flores Gran Reserva Half Corona Corojo 2006.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: Announced the return of the Rocky Patel Decade Edicion Limitada for the fourth consecutive year.
- S.A.G. Imports: Indicated the Quesada Oktoberfest and Tres Reynas (two limited production cigars) will be returning for the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show with each line having a line extension.
- S & S Cigars: Announced the launch of their company and first brand – Foreplay.
- Smoking Jacket Cigars: The company announced on their facebook page the 5 x 52 Robusto Imperial is now in production. The company referred to this as the “last blend in the line.”
- Ted’s Cigars: We previewed the new Duck Commander cigar.
- Torano Family Cigars: We posted a press release announcing the winner of the company’s NBA Weekend Getaway Promotion.
- Viaje: We previewed the event-only Viaje Secret Sauce cigar.
- California: State Senate Bill 768 remains in the Senate Appropriations Committee, where the bill was moved to the “suspense file,” meaning it has been put on hold for now. This proposed legislation would have rasied the cigarette tax by $2 per back.
According to Cigar Rights of America, the cigarette and other tobacco
product (OTP) excise taxes are connected to cigarette tax increases,
thus cigars and pipes will increase at an equivalent rate.
- FDA: Georgia Senator Saxby Chambliss became the 8th sponsor from the United States Senate to support S 772. Meanwhile, since last week’s report, an additional 4 co-sponsors have signed on to HR 792 – making for a total 85 co-sponsors (86 total sponsors). (as of 5/25/13).
- Massachusetts: Representative Paul Heroux from Attleboro, MA is proposing legislation to make it illegal to smoke in a car containing children.
- Minnesota: The state legislature approved a budget that will include tobacco taxes. The OTP excise tax will increase from 70% to 95% on all tobacco products other than cigarettes. There will be a cigar tax cap of $3.50
- New Jersey: State Senator Richard Codey is proposing legislation to raise the minimum age to buy tobacco products from 19 to 21.
- L’Atelier LAT46 Selection Speciale
- La Aurora 107 Maduro
- Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 – Dandy McCoy “Empire State”
- Padron 1964 Anniversary – Draper’s 125 Anniversary Edition Natural
- Broadleaf Tobacco from a Historical Perspective (Cigar Coop Feature Story)
- The Rest of the Story: New Study Warns of Dangers of Thirdhand Smoke in Nonsmoking Hotel Rooms Located in Hotels that Allow Smoking in Some Rooms by Michael Siegel: In this article, Dr. Siegel punches holes into a study that claims there is more risk staying in a hotel that has a partial smoking ban as opposed to a total smoking ban.
On this date May 25th..
- May 25th 2011: We discussed a ban on smoking in recreational areas in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- May 25th 2011: We discussed Jose Oliva’s election to the Florida State House of Representatives.
- May 25th 2012: We reviewed the C & C Corojo.