The Cigar Week Wrap is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will throw in a few bonus items from time to time as well. Our intent is to publish once a week on Saturday mornings. Note: We have decided to label our posts as “Volume 2” to be consistent with the monthly “Editor’s Corner”.
News and Previews
- Altadis: Will launch a fourth size of the H. Upmann Legacy on the June 1st Cigar Dave live broadcast in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Arturo Fuente/J.C. Newman: The Cigar Authority is reporting that Fuente is planning a stronger cigar than Opus X called “Balls of Fire”, as well as a 8-5-8 Connecticut. They also reported Fuente is collaborating with J.C. Newman on a cigar called Ponce de Leon to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the discovery of the State of Florida. Finally, they are reporting a 6 x 60 version of the Diamond Crown Julius Caeser. No timeframes on any of these releases were reported.
- Black Patch Cigars: Issued a press release on the Black Patch Kenbano
- Boutique Blends/Oliveros Cigars: Company President Rafael Nodal announced on his facebook page the new Aging Room Mini. Nodal also posted information on the upcoming Oliveros Vista de Cuba Reserva.
- Dona Flor USA: The company announced an agreement with RK Distributors dba Cigar Cartel in Sun Valley, California to assist in distribution.
- Edgar Hoill Cigars: Now has a web-page for their brand.
- Emilio Cigars: Gary Griffith announced plans for the second cigar in the Emilio Draig series, the Emilio Draig Cayuquero.
- IPCPR: Announced that Mike Ditka will be the guest speaker at the opening day Breakfast.
- My Father Cigars: A press release was provided by Federal Cigar in New Hampshire on the My Father Special F Event Cigar – a limited edition, retail exclusive for Federal Cigar’s 92nd Anniversary.
- Nat Sherman: Line extensions are coming to the Timeless Collection Nicaragua. Executive Director Michael Herklots also posted a picture on instagram of the Timeless Collection Celebraciones. While no details were given of production or dimensions, this appears to be a perfecto-shaped vitola. Herklots also posted an instagram photo of an 8 x 38 vitola of the Timeless Collection – again no production information provided.
- Ortega Cigars: Eddie Ortega posted a picture on Instagram of the art work for the September release of the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 called “Gearhead Gary”. Ortega said he has not decided on a vitola as of yet.
- Padilla Cigars: Pictures of the new Padilla Connecticut and Padilla Vintage Reserve box-press were posted on Instagram by Susana Aragon.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The Bernie Parent Cigar line is getting two line extensions.
- Sam Leccia: We cover some details on his return to the cigar industry that came out this week.
- Arkansas: Cigar Rights of America issued an alert on HB2119. This bill proposes legislation to remove examptions on cigar bars, lounges, and outdoor restaurants. The bill was assigned to the Public Health, Welfare, and Labor Committee.
- FDA: There were eight additional co-sponsors added to HR 792 – increasing the total to 35.
- Florida: Corona Cigar Company owner Jeff Borysiewicz wrote an open letter to Florida’s Senators and Representatives opposition to SB258 and HB439 (the ability to allow local government to enact local smoking ban legislation)
This week we assessed four limited edition cigars and one pre-release.
- Dunhill Aged Reserva Especial 2003
- East India Trading Company Red Witch Double Fuerte
- E.P. Carrillo Medalla D’ Oro
- Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Island Jim WaHoo
- Recluse Draconian by Iconic Leaf Cigars (Pre-Release)
On this date March 16th…