The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature Story: Casa Fernandez Introduces 8 x 80
While the 80 ring gauge cigar is nothing new, going the 8 x 80 route hasn’t been done by a major manufacturer. This week, Casa Fernandez announced the JFR Lunatic – an 8 x 80. This cigar will have twist in that it will have a belicoso tip, thus providing a tapered end to draw on the cigar. Casa Fernandez has been a pioneer in this area. The company introduced the first 7 x 70 by a major manufacturer with the JFR back in 2011.
News and Previews
- 1502 Cigars: The company is releasing its long awaited corona-sized line extensions to the 1502 Emerald, Ruby, and Black Gold lines.
- Davidoff: The company announced plans for a new flagship store in Houston, Texas.
- Romeo y Julieta: A corona sized line extension is coming to the RyJ line.
- Viva Republica: The company announced a “cigar within a cigar” with its Viva Republica Jailbreak.
- FDA: Commissioner Margaret Hamburg has resigned. Meanwhile legislation was introduced to the House of Representatives with H.R. 662. This is the replacement bill for the 114th Congress to pass into law to exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation. Congressman Bill Posey of Florida filed the legislation and an additional 34 co-sponsors signed on. A companion bill in the Sente is expected to foliow.
- Iowa: Senate Study Bill 1109 proposes raising the age to buy tobacco products to 19.
- Kentucky: A proposed statewide smoking ban in public places won approval in a House Committee. It is now heading to the House floor.
- Nebraska: Legislative Bill 118 sponsored by State Senator Tyson Larson that proposes restoring smoking to Cigar Bars in the State got initial approval by the legislature with a 34-2 vote in favor of the bill. Two more votes are scheduled.
- North Carolina: The county commissioner of Mecklenburg County which includes the city of Charlotte is proposing a 10% tax increase.
- Rhode Island: State Rep. Teresa Tanzi haas introducd H-5225 that proposes raising the age to buy tobacco to 21. Meanwhile State Senator Erin Lynch introduced S-0124 that proposes a ban on smoking on State Beaches.
- Utah: State Rep. Kraig Powell is proposing raising the age to buy tobacco products to 21. This proposal was defeated last year.
- Wyoming: A proposed statewide tax hike was defeated.
- Aged Selects Maduro Toro Grande
- Cubanacan Soneros Maduro Corona Gorda
- Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema Fina
- La Colonia Miami Torpedo
- Montecristo Grupo de Maestros Private Batch by Altadis USA
Avo Limited Edition 2011 85th Anniversary (Part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler)
Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema Fina
Dram Cask No. 1 Toro by C & C Cigars (Pairing with Dewar’s White)
Nestor Miranda Collection Connecticut Robusto
Nestor Miranda Collection Habano Robusto
- February 7th 2011: We talked about the 49th Anniversary of the Cuban Embargo.
- February 7th 2011: We looked at some upcoming releases by Perdomo.
- February 7th 2012: We assessed the Rocky Patel Summer Collection 2008.
- February 7th 2013: We assessed the CAO Right Coast.
- February 7th 2013: We previewed the Ortega Serie D Maduro Lancero.
- February 7th 2014: We reported on Sosa Cigars plans for a 50th Anniversary Cigar.
- February 7th 2014: We previewed Crowned Heads Las Calaveras Edicion Limitada 2014.
- February 7th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Zino Platinum Z-Class Series.
- February 7th 2014: We reported on Lou Rodriguez Cigars’ Event Only “One Night Stand” cigar.