The Cigar Week Wrap is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will throw in a few bonus items from time to time as well. Our intent is to publish once a week on Saturday mornings. Note: We have decided to label our posts as “Volume 2” to be consistent with the monthly “Editor’s Corner”.
Cigar Draft 2013
News and Previews
- Asylum Cigars: We compiled a preview of the upcoming limited run release called the Asylum Straight Jacket.
- Drew Estate: A couple of weeks ago, Chairman Jonathan Drew posted an instagram picture of a test blend of the MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured “Just a Friend” vitola.
- Espinosa Cigars: Erik Espinosa was a guest on the 4/20/13 Kiss My Ash Radio show. When asked about releases for IPCPR 2013, Espinosa said that there was “stuff in the works”, but was not sure if anything would be ready in time for the show.
- Ezra Zion Cigar Company: Posted a photo of the cigars and packaging of the soon to be released Ezra Zion Tantrum. The cigar made its debut in Keller, Texas.
- La Gloria Cubana: Under a cloud of mystery, a new cigar called the La Gloria Cubana Bella Dama has begun appearing at retailers (mostly in the Northeast). This appears to be another small batch release by the La Gloria Cubana brand.
- La Flor Dominicana: Issued the official press release for the La Flor Dominicana Double Press Maduro (TAA Exclusive cigar)
- La Palina Cigars: Issued the official press release on the La Palina Collection Goldie Laguito No. 5. There will be 2500 boxes released with 1000 being released in May with the remainder shipped in August.
- Leccia Tobacco: The company has started the process of shipping Leccia White. As we reported last week, the Leccia Black will have a slight delay becuase of a delay in the actual boxes being ready.
- Macanudo: General Cigar Company issued a press release announcing the Macanudo brand will sponsor the upcoming season of the Golf Channel’s Big Break series.
- My Father: A Grand Robusto is being added to Federal Cigar’s exclusive My Father Le Bijou Federal Cigar line.
- Nomad Cigar Company: Issued a press release announcing the Nomad Esteli LE Lot 1386. This will be the company’s first Nicaraguan blended cigar. It is expected to debut at the 2013 IPCPR. A couple of weeks ago, we noted an announcement was coming on this.
- Room 101 Cigars: The Room 101 Big Delicious, the sixth entry in Smoke Inn’s MicroBlend Series was officially launched on Friday April 26, 2013 at their Boynton Beach Store.
- S.A.G. Imports: We previewed the long awaited Casa Magna Domus Magnus II.
- Viaje: Announced the four retailers that will be given a shipment of Viaje Exclusivo Chiquito cigars. The Chiquito is a vitola that has been released once every two years.
- FDA: In a move that was not unexpected, the American Lung Association has come out in opposition of Senate Bill S. 772. Meanwhile, since last week’s report, we learned an additional 4 co-sponsors have signed on to HR 792 – making for a total 65 co-sponsors. (as for 4/26/13)
- Massachusetts: The State House has adopted an amendment as part of a proposed budget bill that would prohibit the sale of cigars in less than packs of four in non-retail tobacco establishments. The bill puts language defining a retail tobacco store as “for which a retail food permit is not required, in which
the sale of other products is incidental to the business of the establishment.”
- Missouri: Rep. Kathie Conway is sponsoring a bill that would assess financial penalties to those communities than place smoking bans in public places. As for the logic in such a plan, Conway said:, “If these municipalities and counties are going to hurt the income of
small businesses, maybe their bottom line should be affected as well.”
- New York/Chicago: City of New York Council Speaker and Democratic Mayoral Candidate Christine Quinn is proposing raising the legal age to buy tobacco products to 21. This was followed up by Chicago Alderman George Cardenas mentioning a similar proposal.
On this date April 27th..
- April 27th 2012: Butthead’s Tobacco Emporium announced the launch of web streaming their events.