The Cigar Week Wrap is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will throw in a few bonus items from time to time as well. Our intent is to publish once a week on Saturday mornings. Note: We have decided to label our posts as “Volume 2” to be consistent with the monthly “Editor’s Corner”.
News and Previews
- Altadis USA: We re-printed a press release of the soon to be released SLR Gen².
- Davidoff: We previewed the upcoming new release to the Zino Platinum line – the limited edition Zino Platinum “The Make of New York”.
- My Father Cigars: We previewed the return of the El Centurion (2013).
- Ortega Premium Cigars: The Ortega Serie “D” Maduro Lancero will be added as a core cigar. Company president Eddie Ortega posted an instagram picture of the July, 2013 Ortega Wild Bunch release – the Wild Bill. This will be a cigar 6 x 46 Corona “Cheroot”. Finally, Ortega posted several instagram photos of “Ortega Mini Cigars” – indicating that Ortega will be entering the cigarillo market.
- Reinado Cigars: Posted an instagram photo of a “soon to be released” 60 ring gauge version of the Reinado Empire Reserve. A picture was also posted of the upcoming limited edition petite lancero Grand Empire Reserve.
- Room 101 Cigars: On the Cigar Coop Video Channel, we recorded a short video with Abe Dababneh and Matt Booth as they launched their cigar.
- Viaje: Another cigar company with a busy week as Viaje announced the May batch releases. First up was the Viaje White Label Project Super Shot – a slightly longer version of the Viaje Super Shot 12 Gauge 2012. This was then followed up by the announcement of the Viaje Exclusivo Super Lance – the ninth vitola in the Exclusivo line. Finally the Viaje Zombie is returning – there will be two blends and four retailers will receive one of the blends.
- FDA: Since last week’s report, we learned an additional 4 co-sponsors have signed on to HR 792 – making for a total 69 co-sponsors. (as of 5/3/13)
- New York: One week after New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn announced a proposal to raise the legal age to buy tobacco to 21, it appears New York State is preparing to follow suit. This past week State Sen. Diane Savino and Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal announced a similar plan to raise the minimum age on Sunday. Meanwhile, the New York Association of Grocery Stores is preparing to fight Mayor Bloomberg’s proposal to ban in-store tobacco displays.
- In this month’s topic, we look at what happened on April Fool’s Day in the cigar industry.