The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Five DC Tweet Up Cigars Announced
There is no doubt that Tweet Ups are on the rise in the cigar industry. The DC Tweet Up is in its third year. As has become a trend, many cigar companies are using these events to provide event only, hard to find, or pre-releases of new cigars. This week we reported on five cigars that will be available at the March 2014 Washington DC event. These cigars include Miami Cigar and Company’s KILO, RoMa Craft Tobac’s Formorian, a new Edgar Hoill EH vitola, a new size of the Asylum 13 Ogre, and Dante Cigars’ upcoming Vita Nova.
News and Previews.
- Altadis USA: The VegaFina Sumum Edicion Especial 2010 is returning.
- Boutique Blends: A line extension is coming to the Aging Room Quattro F55 line.
- C&C Cigars: The company will now have distribution handled by Orleans Group International.
- E.P. Carrillo: The E.P. Carrillo INCH Short Run 2014 now has pre-orders being taken.
- Kings Cigars: We previewed the upcoming King of Kings Broadleaf Limited Edition and eponymous Kings Cigar.
- Leccia Tobacco: The company posted teaser pictures of the Leccia White 6 x 58 perfecto and what appears to be a Leccia White Lancero. The company also posted another teaser of the packaging of a Leccia Black and White Sampler.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The company is getting ready to launch its 25th Anniversary Cigars. The company also also planning an Event Only “Super Selection” Sampler
- Nomad Cigar Company: Fred Rewey was a guest on Cigar Chat and indicated the Nomad Connecticut is being targeted for a March 1st release.
- Quesada Cigars: We reported on two line extensions to the Casa Magna Domus Magnus II line.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: We previewed the Edge Maduro and Edge Corojo B52 line extensions.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors signed on to HR792. The count remains at a total of 136 co-sponsors (137 total sponsors).
- Hawaii: House Bill 325 proposes a statewide ban to ban smokingon public beaches.
- Illinois: State Senator Ira Silverstein of Chicago is proposing legislation with Senate Bill 2659 to ban smoking in motor vehicles containing children as passengers.
- New Jersey: Lawrence Township, NJ has banned smoking in public parks.
- Pennsylvania: A sweeping smoking ban is being proposed statewide. State Senator Stewart Greenleaf and State Representative Mario Scavello are proposing Senate Bill No. 80 and House Bill No. 1485. These bills would ban smoking in private clubs, select residential facilities, truck stops, drinking establishments, gaming floors, and outdoor restaurant patios.
Stogie Geeks – Episode 81
Brian Chinnock’s roots are in the wine industry as he has spent over 35 years in the industry, but a few years ago he entered the cigar business founding Chinnock Cellars Cigars. In this conversation, we learn how Brian got started in the cigar industry. We take a look at his three lines – the Estate, Terroir, and the new Pressoir (our smoke of the week). Perhaps the most interesting thing is how Brian has brought the world of wine-making with the world of cigar-making like nobody else has done before. Brian also hung around with us for the entire show and participated in our segment.
We also covered our smokes of the week and did a segment on cigar banding and packaging.
This week’s smokes of the week included:
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario 2008 Double Robusto
Arturo Fuente Opus X Angel’s Share Robusto
BOTL LE2013 Corona Gorda by Drew Estate
Cain F Lancero Redux
Camacho Connecticut Corona
Casa Trompeta Nicaragua Toro
CroMagnon Femur (Photo only)
Headley Grange Drumstick
Fuente Opus X Angel’s Share Robusto
Illusione Burn Robusto (Mark Jr.)
Illusione Burn Robusto (Paul)
Illusione MKUltra 2013
La Aurora Preferidos Gran Reserva 2003 Corojo #1
Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Da Byrdman Boys Club
Padron 1926 No. 6 Maduro
San Cristobal Revelation Robusto
Tatuaje Black Corona Gorda 2013 Redux
- January 25th 2011: We published an editorial on Pushing Back on Smoking Areas from the Cigar Enthusiast Point of View
- January 25th 2012: We provided two Assessment Updates on the Viaje Fifty Fifty Black and Viaje Fifty Fifty Red
- January 25th 2012: We previewed the Room 101 LTD OSOK (Room 101 LTD One Shot One Kill)
- January 25th 2013: We reported on Smoke Inn’s 7th MicroBlend being in the works. This turned out to be the Oktoberfest Dunkel.
- January 25th 2013: We provided an Assessment Update on the Tarazona 305