The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Welcome MBombay Cigars
MBombay Cigars has become the latest sponsor of Stogie Geeks and Cigar Coop.
Feature Story: Punch Rare Corojo Returns for 2015 and Adds Two New Sizes
General Cigar Company has announced the 2015 release of one of their more popular annual editions, the Punch Rare Corojo. This year, the company has added a new size that will be available on an annual basis called El Diablo. There will also be a new limited edition version for 2015 called the Rare Lapiz. The El Diablo will introduce a massive 6 1/2 x 66 frontmark to the line while the Rare Lapiz will be a reverse torpedo measuring 6 3/4 x 56.
News and Previews
- 262 Cigars: The company is launching a new line called the 262 Roadhouse later this year.
- Moya Ruiz Cigars: The company will have a 2015 release called “The Rake”.
- Nat Sherman: S.T. Dupont will open a “shop within a shop” at the company’s flagship Nat Sherman Townhouse in New York.
- Nomad Cigar Company: Fred Rewey’s company is planning a new release called the Nomad Esteli Lot 8613 this spring.
- Quesada Cigars: The February release of the limited Quesada Seleccion Espana Petit Belicoso Heading will be going to Union Cigar Company in Monroe NC.
- Recluse Cigar Company: Scott Weeks announced on Episode 127 of Stogie Geeks that there will be a new facility opening for Tabaclaera Leyendas Cubanas.
- Viaje: The Viaje Super Shot in the Criollo blend is returning for a small batch release in 2015.
- Warped Cigars: The company will release a small batch called La Colmena Black Honey to select retailers.
- California: Sen. Ed Hernandez (D) is sponsoring SB 151 that proposes raising the legal smoking age in the state from 18 to 21.
- Florida: Senate Bill 548 is proposing making it illegal to smoke in a car with children 13 and under inside.
- Kentucky: The push for a Statewide Smoking ban continues.
- Louisiana: The widespread smoking ban passed by New Orleans City Council was signed into law by Mayor Mitch Landrieu. The ban goes into effect April 22nd, 2015.
- Mississippi: The Mississippi State Medical Association, physicians and city leaders on Tuesday at the State Capitol in Jackson unveiled a 100-foot long list of 10,000 signatures from Mississippians supporting a smoking ban.
- Nebraska: Legislative Bill 118 sponsored by State Senator Tyson Larson that proposes restoring smoking to Cigar Bars in the State was advanced by the Legislature’s General Affairs Committee. The bill is now headed to the full Legislature.
- Virginia: The tobacco tax with House Bill 1590 was squashed by the House Finance Subcommittee.
- The Alibi by Espinosa Cigars (Part of the Backroom Series)
- Dram Cask No. 1 Toro by C & C Cigars (As first reviewed on Cigar Coop)
- Felipe Gregorio Pelo de Oro Robusto Gordo (2014) (As first reviewed on Cigar Coop)
- Quesada Keg (As first reviewed on Cigar Coop)
- RoMa Craft Tobac Aquitaine Venus
Aged Selects Habano Churchill
Aged Selects Habano Oscuro Churchill
A. Flores 1975 Serie Privada Capa Habano
Avo Limited Edition 2012 La Trompeta (Part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler)
EP Carrillo New Wave Reserva Connecticut Toro
Hammer & Sickle Moscow City Robusto
Las Calaveras – Edicion Limitada 2014 LC550
RoMa Craft Tobac Aquitaine Venus
Swag Black VIP by Boutique Blends Cigars
- January 31st 2011: We provided legislative updates for Minnesota, Florida, and New Mexico.
- January 31st 2011: We linked to an editorial on combating Smoking Bans.
- January 31st 2011: We reported on Gary Hyams’ departure from CAO and General Cigar.
- January 31st 2012: We reported on the U.S. release of the VegaFina Sumum Edicion Especial 2010
- January 31st 2012:: We reported on Eddie Ortega’s departure from EO Brands.
- January 31st 2012: We assessed Tatuaje – The Face.
- January 31st 2013: We reported on the upcoming Room 101 Namakubi Ecuador.
- January 31st 2013: We assessed the Cuenca 5 Anniversary.
- January 31st 2014: We reported on Asylum and EH releases for the DC Tweet-Up.
- January 31st 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the La Musa Melete by Emilio Cigars