The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Swisher International Announces Plans to Acquire Drew Estate
We have comprehensive coverage and analysis of this landmark news in the cigar industry:
- Swisher International Announces Plans to Acquire Drew Estate Tobacco
- A Closer Look at Swisher International
- Saka Comments on Swisher International’s Acquisition of Drew Estate Tobacco
- Swisher’s Acquisition of Drew Estate – The Analysis
- Mr. Blonde: A special event cigar for the shop by La Flor Dominicana
- Mr. Blue: Reinado Grand Empire Reserve Ecuador Edition Petite Lancero (first release)
- Mr. Brown: Paul Stulac Red Screaming Sun Lancero (Updated Story from September)
- Mr. Orange: Alec Bradley Tempus Maduro – Box-pressed torpedo
- Mr. Pink: 262 Paradigm Lonsdale
- Mr. White: Viaje Platino 5 x 58
- FDA: No new co-sponsors have signed on to HR792. The total remains at 165 co-sponsors (166 total sponsors)
- Nebraska: The Nebraska State Liquor Control Commission has decided to temporarily allow smoking at cigar bars while the State Supreme Court is considering an appeal to the recent ruling that the state’s cigar bar exemption is unconstitutional.
- North Carolina: The county commissioners approved an amended proposal for an Outdoor Smoking Ban for Mecklenberg County (which includes the city of Charlotte). The amendment is a compromise that allows exceptions for golf courses, 18 regional parks, and for selected special events. Last week we reported on this exclusion.
- Feature Story: How Limited is that Limited Edition Cigar? – When it comes to limited editions, there are many ways to slice and dice it. We take a closer look at the different types of limited editions in the cigar industry.
Our smokes of the week included:
Avo 75 (Avo Limited Edition 2001)
Avo 22 (Avo Limited Edition 2002)
Fuente Opus X Forbidden X Lancero 2010
H. Upmann – The Banker – Annuity
Herrera Esteli Norteno Corona Gorda Vs. Pre-Release Box Press
Liga Privada T52 Belicoso
Padron 1964 Anniversary Belicoso TAA Exclusive Natural (2014)
Padron Family Reserve 50th Maduro
Ramon Allones Gigantes (Habanos)
Tatuaje Drac (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series)
Unbanded From (Listener) Zed
Zino Platinum “The Make Of Texas”
- October 25th 2010: We assessed the Nording by Rocky Patel.
- October 18th 2010: We covered a movement in North Dakota to overturn a proposed tobacco ban.
- October 25th 2011: We assessed the Casa Fernandez Miami.
- October 25th 2012: We reprinted a press release on Primer Mundo’s Preferred Merchant Program.
- October 25th 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the CAO Concert.
- October 25th 2013: We covered the announcement on Compania de Siembra Hojas de Tradicion.
- October 25th 2013: We recapped our Stogie Geeks conversation with Skip Martin of RoMa Craft Tobac and go insight into some 2014 projects.
- October 25th 2013: We did a pre-release assessment of the RyJ by Romeo y Julieta.