The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Davidoff to Revamp Winston Churchill Brand
Davidoff announced another new brand that is getting a makeover. This time it will be its Winston Churchill brand. The company is rebranding and reblending these cigars which will now be known as Davidoff Winston Churchill Cigars. The Winston Churchill brand now brings the total number of brand makeovers in the Davidoff portfolio to three. In 2013, a major revamping occurred to the Camacho brand. At the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show, it was announced that the Avo brand would also receive a makeover in 2015.
News and Previews
- CAO: We previewed the recently shipped CAO Gold Nasty Nutcracker and CAO MX2 Rabid Reindeer Christmas theme releases.
- Drew Estate: The company has announced a joined collaboration with Pappy & Co to produce Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve cigar.
- Gurkha: We previewed the soon to be released Gurkha Xtreme
- La Flor Dominicana: The company announced that its Mysterio line – which includes a natural and oscuro offering will be rebranded as “The Cigar Formerly Known as ‘M'”
- Leccia Tobacco: Sam Leccia provided an update on things post acquisition.
- Viva Republica: The company announced a limited edition cigar to benefit Cigars for Warriors.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors have signed on to HR792. The total remains at 165 co-sponsors (166 total sponsors)
- Oregon: A proposed beach smoking ban on all beaches in the state has been shelved after it received significant opposition. Officials ruled it would be too difficult to enforce.
- Texas: The Dallas Park and Recreation Board has directed city staff on Thursday to draft an ordinance that would prohibit smoking at Dallas city parks and trails.
- Debonaire Maduro Toro
- Illusione Fume D’Amour Clementes
- Miami Cigar and Company 25th Anniversary Nicaragua
- Nat Sherman Epoca Selection Prince
- Neya Classic Canonazo by Roberto P. Duran Cigars
Our smokes of the week included:
1907 by Dunhill Robusto (Collaborative Unbanded Review with Blind Man’s Puff)
Arturo Fuente Casa Cuba Robusto
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #4
Avo 2004 Legacy
E.P. Carrillo La Historia
Hammer + Sickle Berlin Wall Series Celebration Corona
Illusione Fume D’Amour Clementes
Julius Caeser Shark (Toast Across America 2014)
La Flor Dominicana Mambises
La Palina Collection Goldie Laguito Especial
One 13 Maduro
Paul Gamirian 15th Anniversary Robusto
Tatuaje TAA 2012
- November 8th 2010: We published a report on students at the University of Oregon protesting an outdoor smoking ban.
- November 8th 2011: We assessed the Gurkha Cellar Reserve.
- November 8th 2012: We assessed the Foundry by General Cigar Company
- November 8th 2013: We assessed the AFR-75 by PDR Cigars
- November 8th 2013: We reported on the shop exclusive La Flor Dominicana TP Triple Threat for Tobacco Plaza.
- November 8th 2013: We reported on The Judge by J. Fuego to be Retail Exclusive to Famous Smoke Shop.
- November 8th 2013:We previewed the Samuel Adams Utopias Cigar by Ted’s Cigars.
- November 8th 2013: We reported on an exclusive cigar by Quesada Cigars for the 2013 Big Smoke event in Las Vegas.