The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 314 (1/26/19)
TODAY THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT TURNS SIX YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!
Feature of the Week: Maria Sierra Passes Away
Maria Sierra, the acclaimed Cuban roller who built a second career in the United States at the iconic El Titan de Bronze factory in Little Havana has passed away. She was 70 years old. Sierra was best known for being the exclusive roller of the La Palina Goldie line at El Titan de Bronze from 2012 to 2017.
News and Previews
- Black Label Trading Company/Emilio Cigars: A “merger” between the two brands was announced where Emilio Cigars will move production to Black Label Trading Company’s Fabrica Oveja Negra. Meanwhile, Black Label Trading Company will handle the branding and marketing for Emilio Cigars.
- Fratello Cigars: Announced a discount program in conjunction with W.Curtis Draper aimed at furloughed government employees.
- IPCPR: The company reported an increase in retail sales traffic and volume with a decrease in customer spending during the past Christmas season.
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: The company will release the limited edition Hand Gripper as the 13th installment of the Smoke Inn MicroBLend Series.
- Warped Cigars: Announced the Flor de Valle Ghost Orchid for 2019
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is at 11.
- Connecticut: A proposed bill would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Hawaii: A proposed bill would cap the tax on a large cigar on 50 cents as opposed to 50 percent of the wholesale price.
- Illinois: Cook County has raised the smoking age to 21.
- Indiana: A proposed bill would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Nebraska: A proposed bill would cap the tax on a large cigar on 50 cents as opposed to 20 percent of the wholesale price.
- New Mexico: A proposed bill will raise tobacco tax (including cigars) from 25% to 76%.
- Maine: A bill has been introduced to allow cigar specialty stores to sell beverages.
- Michigan: A proposed bill would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- South Carolina: A proposed bill would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Texas: A proposed bill would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Wyoming: A proposed bill would change the wholesale tax to 53 1/3% and increase the consumer tax to 26 2/3%
- Todos Las Dias Thick Lonsdale Mas Fuerte by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- 300 Manos Habano Petit Edmundo by Southern Draw Cigars
- Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua Vibrato by Boutique Blends Cigars
- Black Label Trading Company Morphine Lancero 2018
- La Palina El Año 1896 Robusto (2018)
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
No Show This Week
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #46, we had our annual Big Game Preview show with Jonathan Carney of La Flor Dominicana.
Episode 83 (1/31/19): Jarrid Trudeau, Kristoff Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 47 (2/5/19) – Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
On this date January 26th
- Jan 26, 2012: An announcement was made that Jose Seijas was leaving Altadis USA.
- Jan 26, 2012: We assessed the Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva.
- Jan 26, 2013: We published the Cigar Week Wrap, for the week ending 1/26/13
- Jan 26, 2013: We previewed the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2013
- Jan 26, 2014: We assessed the El Cedro Corona Gorda
- Jan 26, 2015: We assessed the Dram Cask No. 1 Toro by C & C Cigars
- Jan 26, 2015: We reported on the La Colmena Black Honey by Warped Cigars
- Jan 26, 2016: We assessed the Tatuaje TAA 2015
- Jan 26, 2016: We reported on the Yargüera H. Upmann Announced
- Jan 26, 2017: We assessed the MombachoLiga Maestro Doble Robusto
- Jan 26, 2017: We announced our partnership with KMA Talk Radio.
- Jan 26, 2018: We reported on the passing of Gary Laden of the Smooth Draws Radio Show.
- Jan 26, 2018: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2018
- Jan 26, 2018: We reported on the La Palina Bronze Label becoming regular production and adding new sizes
- Jan 26, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 40: Miguel Schoedel, Crowned Heads