The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Note from the Editor
Many times the cigar industry will put “teasers” on social media out as a way to generate interest in new releases. As we enter IPCPR season, these become more common from cigar manufacturers. We at Cigar Coop have made a decision to not cover these in our daily cigar coverage, but rather focus on stories which have content. There may be times a “teaser” could be used as a basis for that content, but the teaser alone is not enough to warrant a story. Instead, we will use some of these “teasers” in this report where we can link to the appropriate social media source.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is now live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
Feature of the Week: Rob Weiss BG Meyer Company Launched
When screenwriter Rob Weiss joined Camacho’s “Board of the Bold” with Matt Booth and Mike Ditka, many thought it was a matter of time before he got his own cigar brand. That happened this week with the launch of BG Meyer Standard Issue – an all Nicaraguan puro. However, as we noted it appears the new brand has more up their sleeve and is planning a second release called Slacker.
We are into the period of public comment for the FDA’s proposed regulations. If you are a consumer or retailer, follow the links below for public comment:
We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
News and Previews.
- A.J. Fernandez Cigars: The company formally announced Robbie Streitz as National Sales Manager.
- Alec Bradley: The company has recently shipped a new 60 ring gauge sampler called Alec Bradley Premium Plus.
- Avo Cigars: The Cigar Authority is reporting that a sampler box of past Avo Limited Editions called Avo’s Greatest Hits will be released.
- Cigar Federation: The store announced the launch of the Factory Direct Boutique Series with the Project 7 by Noel Rojas.
- CLE Cigars: The announcement of the EIROA CBT Maduro was officially made.
- Davidoff: Line extensions are coming to Davidoff Nicaragua. The Davidoff Nicaragua line is adding a Diadema Fina. It all will be adding two cigarillo size blends called Davidoff Nicaragua Primeros. These new Primeros blends will be in a Sumatra and Maduro offering and will be different non-Nicaraguan puro blends.
- Epicurean Cigars: The company has made several announcements for more 2014 projects including the Epicurean Carnavale, Santeria Mojo and Southern Railroad.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The company announced due to a name conflict the soon to be released Joya de Nicaragua Red Cardinal vitola is being named to Canonazo
- L’Atelier Imports: We previewed the L’Atelier Imports Extension de la Racine ER14 – the second installment of the IPCPR show only cigar.
- Matilde Cigars: The company posted on its social media that plans are underway for a lancero size of the Matlide Renacer. Plans appear for a launch at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show. This would be the fifth vitola in the line.
- Roberto Duran Cigars: A picture surfaced from Cigar Package Design of a band for what appears to be a new line by the company Baracoa.
- Ted’s Cigars: The company is launching a new limited edition seasoned cigar called Samuel Adams Brewlywed Ale Seasoned Cigar. This is a cigar based on the limited edition annually released ale by Samuel Adams.
- Villiger Cigars: We previewed two line extensions to Cabarete Maduro and Trill.
- Warped Cigars: The company announced its new La Colmena will launch at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show
- FDA: No new co-sponsors were added to HR792. The total remains at total of 155 co-sponsors (156 total sponsors).
Our smokes of the week included:
(Note our video was now available for link at press time)
- June 14th 2011: We posted a press release announcing that Torano Family Cigar Company would distribute Sam Leccia Cigars. This was the original venture planned by Sam Leccia before it was put on hold due to an injunction filed by Leccia’s previous employer Oliva Cigars. Eventually Leccia would return with Leccia Tobacco in 2013.
- June 14th 2012: We posted a press release that officially announced the Emilio Draig K. This cigar would go on to be our Cigar Coop #15 Cigar for 2012.
- June 14th 2013: We assessed the La Aurora Preferidos 1903 Edition Diamond
- June 14th 2013: We previewed the Ashton ESG 24 Year Salute.