The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Warped Cigars and Casa Fernandez Team Up for Futuro
Warped Cigars and Casa Fernandez have announced they will have a collaborative cigar called Futuro. The cigar is a joint effort between Warped Cigaars owner Kyle Gellis and Max Fernandez, the son of Eduardo Fernandez of Aganorsa / Casa Fernandez. Plans are for the Futuro to make its debut at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
Southern Cigar Festival
Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks are proud to partner with the Southern Cigar Festival. The event is being held on June 6 at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park in Alpharetta, Georgia. This past week, we took a look at the The “La Angostura” Project – charity the Festival is teaming up with Christian Eiroa and CLE Cigars.
Tickets are available through Ticketmaster via the event website, Cutters Cigar Emporium, and the Amphitheatre box office. Those purchasing tickets in person at Cutters Cigars will get a free cigar with their ticket purchase.
News and Previews
- Chinnock Cellars Cigars: On Episode 139 of Stogie Geeks, owner Brian Chinnock broke news of plans for a limited edition release called Chinnock Cellars Cigars XOXO.
- Hammer + Sickle: The Hammer + Sickle Icon Series has been renamed to the Hammer + Sickle Trademark Series. The line will also have a Maduro counterpart introduced.
- La Aurora Cigars: The Untamed Box-Press will become the shop exclusive 128th Aniversario Cigar for DC-based retailer W. Curtis Draper.
- Room 101 Cigars: Doc James Tobacco in New York the Room 101 Ichiban Ranfla – the third installment in the series of shop exclusives.
- Federal: No new sponsors were added to Senate Bill (S. 441) – the total sponsor count remains at 16. No new sponsors were added to House Bill (HR 662) – the total sponsor count remains at 101.
- Debonaire Maduro Belicoso
- Avo Limited Edition 2003 – Avo 77 (Part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler)
- E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2015 Vencedores
- Hammer + Sickle Trademark Series Churchill (Formerly Hammer + Sickle Icon Series)
- Punch Rare Corojo El Diablo 2015
Agile Cigar Assessments
This week was a blockbuster show to kick off of “Epic Month of May”. We started off with a segment with Havana Cigar Club and Oliva Cigar Company’s John Gazerro. We then were joined in the studio by Jean-Michel Louis of Saga Cigars. Phil Zanghi of Debonaire Cigars also dropped by the studio for a live Debonaire Ideal. We also had Brian Chinnock of Chinnock Cellars Cigars as a featured guest.
We posted Episode 138 – which contained our interview with Robert Caldwell of Caldwell Cigar Company.
Our smokes of the week included:
Debonaire Maduro Belicoso (Paul)
Debonaire Maduro Belicoso (Will)
MBombay Mora No. 2 (Belicoso-Pre-Release)
Saga Blend No. 7 Gran Toro
Ashton Symmetry Prism
Avo 2nd Movement TAA Limited Release
Avo Limited Edition 2003 – Avo 77 (Avo LE03) (Part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler)
Don Pepin Garcia Original CRA
E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2015 Vencedores
Hammer + Sickle Trademark Series Churchill (Formerly Hammer + Sickle Icon Series)
Kristoff Galerones DR4 Robusto
Ora Vivo Armand Assante Ov-3
Senor Andre’s Chicharrones Spicy (Criollo) by Viaje
- May 9th 2012: We previewed the INCH by E.P. Carrillo.
- May 9th 2012: We recapped CAO’s Last Stick Standing (LSS) Project.
- May 9th 2012: We reposted a press release on Merlion by La Sirena.
- May 9th 2013: We previewed the 2013 BOTL Cigar by Drew Estate.
- May 9th 2013 We assessed the Asylum 13 6 x 80
- May 9th 2014: The White House Rejected the Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- May 9th 2014: We previewed the Aging Room Bin No. 1.
- May 9th 2014: We reported on Nicholas Melillo leaving Drew Estate and launching Melillo International
- May 9th 2014: We reported on CRA’s guidance for public comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- May 9th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Nomad Connecticut Fuerte.